Help! I've wondered for years what figure line this was!

Chat about your favorite figures from the past, get help figuring out the one guy's name from that one series, or tell your favorite childhood action figure story.

Moderator: Regulators

Help! I've wondered for years what figure line this was!

Postby BigRuggles » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi everyone, new here. I tried to do a search on this, but I honestly don't remember enough details to get anywhere.

It had to be in the very early 1990's, I was at Toys-R-Us, back in the aisle where they kept the Batman figures. At the front of that aisle, I came across this astronaut action figure, built like any normal figure, except his face was an LCD screen, and you could push different buttons on his chest that would make the figure's face 'talk' and say various phrases (his facial features were made up graphically). I remember this was the only time I ever saw any figure from this line, but unfortunately, this toy was either too much or I had already made my selections, and I couldn't get him. So I hid him in the very back of the rack, hoping to return for him later, but I never did.

I've wondered for years what this figure was, and I've always regretted not getting him. He was obviously an older toy, left over from the late-80's I'd guess. Can anyone help? I'd love to look for it on Ebay.
BigRuggles
Newbie Realmer

Postby Dr Nightmare » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 pm

I know there are toys made today that are similar, they're figures that have LCD faces and their expressions change based on different things, I haven't seen any old toys like that, that sounds really high-tech for the 80's! :lol:
Dr Nightmare
Realminator

Postby ScarecrowMan666 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:06 pm

I used to have one, his name was Lizard, and I loved him....but I don't remember what the series was called...I wanna say something Command.
ScarecrowMan666
Avid Realmer

Re: Help! I've wondered for years what figure line this was!

Postby LooseVirtue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 am

The line is called 'Video Command' made by Toy Island 1991-93. I picked up a loose 'Lizard' a while back and it took me a while to ID him. He was still working I seem to recall - probably needs some new batteries, which I'll check if someone does want to take him off my hands. (I was probably going to try selling him on ebay at some point anyway.) Let me know if you're interested. Must get round to submitting a Checklist for them aswell.
LooseVirtue
Newbie Realmer

Postby Aesthetikz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:54 am

7.99 price tag in the pic, Fairly pricey back then considering TMNT figs were 2.99-3.99.
Aesthetikz
Elite Realmer

Postby Top-notch comix » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 am

Aesthetikz wrote:Image
7.99 price tag in the pic, Fairly pricey back then considering TMNT figs were 2.99-3.99.

Awesome jobs, Aesthetikz!
Top-notch comix
Realm of Famer

Postby JakkNewman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am

Score! I still have 'Stinger' from this line. Wish I took better care of him over the years. Wonder if there's a way to repair a damaged battery compartment. Like, old batteries were left in for too long and the acid leaked out and ruined the whole area.
JakkNewman
Inductee Realmer

Location: Montvale, Virginia currently but I'm a former Yankee.

Postby Pock63 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

JakkNewman wrote:Score! I still have 'Stinger' from this line. Wish I took better care of him over the years. Wonder if there's a way to repair a damaged battery compartment. Like, old batteries were left in for too long and the acid leaked out and ruined the whole area.

If it's not to bad you can scrape the rust off and it might still work.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Mighty Puundragon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 am

JakkNewman wrote:Wonder if there's a way to repair a damaged battery compartment. Like, old batteries were left in for too long and the acid leaked out and ruined the whole area.

I have used scraping and/or a Dremel tool in the past. It will never be perfect but you can get things to work (usually)
Mighty Puundragon
Regular Realmer

Postby JakkNewman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Mine's in such terrible condition I wouldn't be surprised if the LED liquid/ink whatever it's called is 100% dried up. So even WITH working batteries his face would do absolutely nothing.
JakkNewman
Inductee Realmer

Location: Montvale, Virginia currently but I'm a former Yankee.

Return to Figures of the Past