Advice For Custom Idea

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Advice For Custom Idea

Postby agentxy9 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I am trying to create a 6 inch sasuke with many points of articulation. Right now, I only have the figure which is a mattel sasuke head on a nude 80's bandai action figure body. What I need help with is where/how I can get the figure the proper attire. I know what il looks like, but I dont know if it is best to use cloth or sculpt.

Thank you for reading and here is a picture which is a reference for my figure base: http://69.174.246.25/gallery2/gallery/d ... igures.jpg

Any tips, ideas, and advice are appreciated...
My password is my school password.
agentxy9
Casual Realmer

Re: Advice For Custom Idea

Postby mpelichoff » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Are you making the Naruto character?
mpelichoff
Avid Realmer

Postby ~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~ » Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 am

I think sculpint it will look far nicer

Here is somethin that may help
http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php?id=38
ImageImage
~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~
Regular Realmer

Postby agentxy9 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 am

yes i am trying sasuke uchiha. also, i understand the sculpt lools good, but will it work out with this base? I am mostly worried because the base is made entirely out of hard plastic where MLs are a bit flexible...
agentxy9
Casual Realmer

Postby ~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~ » Sun May 01, 2011 10:48 am

yeah I dont think the type of figure plastic matters scult usually fries like rock hard so its already a different density .
ImageImage
~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~
Regular Realmer

Postby agentxy9 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 pm

yeah, im not advanced yet so i wouldnt know alot about using it. thanks and hopefully other people give more ideas. i just found a fireball jutsu effect to use! now i just need a definite chidori effect...
agentxy9
Casual Realmer

Postby mpelichoff » Sun May 01, 2011 7:37 pm

In order to keep all of those points of articulation, I would try cloth first. If you don't like the look of it, you could always remove it and try sculpt. If you try sculpt and it doesn't work out you'll have a heck of a time getting it back to something close to the base figure.
Lots of places sell fabric, wal-mart could even have what your looking for and it would be cheap so if it doesn't work out it's not a big loss.
A combination of the two might work out best - sculpt for the big collar thing and the bits on his forearms and cloth for the rest... guess it depends on which outfit too...
mpelichoff
Avid Realmer

Postby Cherry Bomb » Mon May 02, 2011 1:43 am

agentxy9 wrote:yeah, im not advanced yet so i wouldnt know alot about using it. thanks and hopefully other people give more ideas. i just found a fireball jutsu effect to use! now i just need a definite chidori effect...

Maybe buy this you get a chidori effect and a demon wind shuriken :D
Like - Us(Untouchable Customs)
Member,Founder and Photographer of Untouchable Customs!
Cherry Bomb
Regular Realmer

Postby agentxy9 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:12 pm

:lol: LOL! I wanted this figure and I know it would be valuable help, :cry: but its pricey today...
agentxy9
Casual Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Thu May 05, 2011 5:45 am

Sculpting over the fabric would help save articulation. Cut the fabric to the desired length then sculpt over it leaving a small piece of fabric exposed. Attach the exposed piece of fabric near the articulation and there you have it?????
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby agentxy9 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 pm

:doubt: I don't know. :( But now I feel like i've lost hope because I cant do any of these things if I tried and it sounds compicated altogether... :x Oh well, it's not like I had a chance anyways...
agentxy9
Casual Realmer

Postby Mighty Tom » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

agentxy9 wrote::doubt: I don't know. :( But now I feel like i've lost hope because I cant do any of these things if I tried and it sounds compicated altogether... :x Oh well, it's not like I had a chance anyways...

don't give up yet, if not move on to another project and come back to it when your skills improve and you feel a bit more confident
Mighty Tom
Avid Realmer

Postby mpelichoff » Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree with Mighty Tom. Practice on something that is not so important to you. Try fabric, try sculpting. Nothing bad can come out of practicing! Then after your comfortable with whichever you choose, come back to this project.
mpelichoff
Avid Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 am

Like the others said man, don't give up, most peoples first few customs tend to be a bit ropey, keep practising and you will get to where you wanna be
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Mr.X » Sun May 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Gotta echo what everyone else said. First customs are always choppy-you learn from experiencing. Even the big boys didn't pop out amazing pieces at first go. Plan it out, take it slow, take your time and don't judge yourself to hard. Customs can always be made again later or taken apart and redone.

Personally, with that type of body I'd do a little bit of both sculpting and real cloth. ML's are easier because of their unique body, and allot of people love them because of their articulation, but bodies like the one you posted have a TON of articulation. Honestly it looks like a 12'' body shrunk down. Sculpting it completely would look nice, but it would have to have allot of time put into it so the sculpting doesn't hinder any articulation or get rubbed off. Id say sculpt the little things, like boots, gloves, hair, yadda yadda and use real cloth for the clothes. You don't need to find any fancy fabric, just chop up and old tshirt and keep sizing it till you get what you like. If your making clothes for a 6 inch figure, a tshirt is gonna give you quite a bit of extra fabric to play trial and error with.
Pew Pew Pew.
Mr.X
Fanatic Realmer

Next

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info