OUCH! Injuries sustained while customizing

Show off your other non-figure custom creations here, such as model kits, garage-kits, dioramas, or maybe the next Clone Army invasion!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: OUCH! Injuries sustained while customizing

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Ouch! I've sliced off a chunk of finger, got plastic stuck in my eyelid, and had a sharpened bobby pin go through my finger all while removing parts from planet hulk and making claws for my hydra prime 001 custom! Definately a learning experience in customizing safety! By the way I was wearing safety glasses with the plastic inside my eyelid and it took me six hours in front of a mirror to remove! Most recently went to solder a wire to an iron battery but picked up a lithium one by accident. Needless to say, I won't be trying that again. Amazing how loud those can be. Spent 10minutes cleaning solder off my glasses. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 pm

RedRebelCustoms wrote:Ouch! I've sliced off a chunk of finger, got plastic stuck in my eyelid, and had a sharpened bobby pin go through my finger all while removing parts from planet hulk and making claws for my hydra prime 001 custom! Definately a learning experience in customizing safety! By the way I was wearing safety glasses with the plastic inside my eyelid and it took me six hours in front of a mirror to remove! Most recently went to solder a wire to an iron battery but picked up a lithium one by accident. Needless to say, I won't be trying that again. Amazing how loud those can be. Spent 10minutes cleaning solder off my glasses. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

YOW!! I bleed for a living, but that could have been life altering. careful...
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm

loosecollector wrote:I was about to drill a hole on my Bruce Lee figure. But he kicked me in the face, twisted my neck and broke my left arm with a chicken wing hold.

Wooo....I just finished laughing....THAT was funny.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby darklord1967 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm

For all intents and purposes, I should be BLIND in one eye. It's a darn miracle that I am not!

Years ago while customizing a STAR WARS vehicle, I shook a small tube of super glue and a drop squirted DIRECTLY into my left eye!

Not only did my eye lid instantly seal shut, but my eye ball rolled around frantically trying to get rid of the foreign agent. All that did was spread the glue around the eye ball more thoroughly!!

It was 3 AM, I was about 17 years old, and I did not want to wake my parents and freak them out. But I was terrified.

There I was standing in front of the mirror with a single edge razor blade, very carefully prying my eye lid back apart. I flushed my eye with water, but there was already dried patches of glue covering the eye ball. With a very wet towel, I slowly and very gently flaked away as much of the glue as I could off the surface of my eye ball.

Then I went to bed, figuring I would go to the emergency room in the morning, if necessary, for treatment.

At daybreak I awoke to the irritating feeling of wet flaky crap on my eye lid. When I went to the mirror, I was shocked to find that somehow, overnight, my eye had completely EXPELLED the dried super glue in large flakes and deposited it all on my eye lid!

With a flush of water, my eye was as good as new.

I was EXTREMELY LUCKY!!!!

I now use protective eye wear EVERYTIME I use super glue, or EVERYTIME I am grinding with my Dremel tool. The huge hunks of stuff that have come flying up at my eyes when I have been working with my rotary tool have made me glad an endless amount of times for my protective goggles!

Remember gang... always be careful when customizing!! Safety first!!!

ROBIN: Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.
THE BATMAN: Roger. Ready to move out.
darklord1967
Regular Realmer

Postby Patraw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:52 am

Mostly my figure-related injuries are burns, lacerations, and puncture wounds. The burns comes from my wood burner (which reaches a temperature of 800 degrees Farenheit and hurts like hell), the cuts are from knives/scissors, and the puncture wounds from sewing needles. I've glued my fingers together, or other objects to them, with super glue, but, fortunately, I've never gotten any in my eyes like a previous poster did.

I've never done any real significant damage to myself . . . yet, just minor wounds.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Wesr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Superglue is always fun because you never notice it's on you until you're stuck. I get my burns from the soldering iron once in a while. I get a lot of respiratory infections from sanding my projects and spraying, which is my own fault since i do own a filter mask. Just the mask and my asthma don't mix.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:52 am

I have gotten superglue in my eye but only in small amounts. The cheaper tubes have air inside sometimes and has a tendancy to squirt out. It just stings a lil though, so I guess I've been lucky there too. :D
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby kodykoala » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 am

Let's see. I have sliced the tip of my thumb mostly off, luckily it healed back togeter. I have gotten huge chunks of plastic in my eye. I sliced the back of my knuckle with an exacto blade. My wife is always so afraid when I work with blades, but I haven't lost a finger yet.
kodykoala
Casual Realmer

Postby ryuskrew » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Let's see, I've had my fingers stuck together by superglue so many times that skin started to rip off..uh, one time I was supergluing the stretchy portion of a MU Captain America's shield back on because it broke, but my finger got stuck to it, and because of the reaction between the fabric, superglue, and plastic it was burning essentially.

Also, right before I finished one of my first customs, I sliced a pretty decent chunk out of the side of my thumb via knife. The scar is still there. ouch.
ryuskrew
Regular Realmer

Postby robotdude » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:27 am

me too i have lots of broken nails.. :(
robotdude
Newbie Realmer

Postby John11756 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 am

worst thing to happen to me was grabbing the hot glue gun upside down and burning my hand.i have never cut myself so badly but i have stabbed my hand.
John11756
Regular Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 am

=I was dremmeling a figure last night and melted bits of plastic started flying off the dremmel tool and went inside my clothes so I have a bunch of little burns on my chest.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:23 am

ẈĀŦƧĦĪƧ₣Ā₵Ė wrote:=I was dremmeling a figure last night and melted bits of plastic started flying off the dremmel tool and went inside my clothes so I have a bunch of little burns on my chest.

Definately an ouch moment! I have burnt myself with hotglue, avrylic rod ( heats superfast and cools super fast). Dremeling my finger nails down is fairly common. Small bits and larger figures! Recently plastic epoxied a finger to a figure. Small area but with 4,000lbs of tear strength it took a good amount of skin off the top layer. Lots of close calls but after my last close call, I've upped the safety gear a tad. LOL :D
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby Rogue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Basically the same cutting fingernails and skin with scissors/clay tool. Also a lot of just stabbing myself with sewing pins while sewing. Thank God nothing too serious but still ouch!!
Rogue
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Rogue
Inductee Realmer

Postby Galactape » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Lots of cuts, slices and stabs, only afew real bloody ones thugh thankfully.
Galactape
Realm of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Custom Creations