Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Postby Patraw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 am

All right, per RedRebelCustom's suggestion, I thought we'd give the Custom Contest Theme voting thing a try. Simply make a post, in this thread, stating your preference, out of the following six options. I'll tally up the results, in about a week or so, and whatever gets the most votes shall become the new December 15th contest.

I won't cast a vote myself, except in the event of a tie, in which case I'll make a tie-breaker decision.

If you wish to continue choosing contest themes like this in the future, then participate by voicing your opinion, otherwise, if only a handful of people show interest, I'll return to selecting the contests myself.

One vote, for one theme, per person, please.

#1 Artist Specific Contest
Make a version of any character based on a particular artist's style. Alex Ross Batman, Todd McFarlane Spider-Man, etc.

#2 Cute-Em-Up Contest
Instead of gritty super heroes and similar fare, make something adorable for a change. You can do a character that's already cute, or give someone that's normally hideous/terrifying a cuddly makeover.

#3 Deformed Contest
Craft a disproportionate version of any character. Give someone a huge or tiny head, giant hands/feet, long/short arms or legs, things like that.

#4 Indie Comics Contest
Any character/thing from an indepedent comic book franchise. No characters from the big two, Marvel or DC, will be allowed.

#5 Mythic Might Contest
Make someone or something that originates from any mythology. Gods/goddesses, heroes/heroines, mythical creatures, etc.

#6 Package Deal Contest
Create a custom package (box, clamshell, blistercard, baggy, etc.) to go with the customized figure of your choice.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Re: Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Postby Shinigami » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

Mythic theme for me.

Artist specific is very interesting, but I think it may be hard to pull off and decide if the figure really looks like a specific person's design.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

Shinigami wrote:Artist specific is very interesting, but I think it may be hard to pull off and decide if the figure really looks like a specific person's design.

Therein lies the challenge! It'd probably be safest/easiest to pick someone who has a really distinctive style like Mike Mignola or Sam Keith. :D
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Finn Varra » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm

The Indie contest gets my vote! It'd be cool to see some of the other companies characters get some custom lovin.
Finn Varra
Avid Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I second that! The lil guys need some more representation round these parts!! #4 Indie contest.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

I would have to go with option #4, but really like the mythology idea that would be my second choice.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Location: http://www.figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40241

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Another vote for #4 but I agree with CFC, we gotta get around to the mythic might contest! Thanks for the shout out Patraw and implementing another of my crazy ideas!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby Patraw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 am

Right-o, come December 15th, Indie Comics (titled "Independent Spirit") it shall be. Thank you to everybody who took the time to vote!

I've been giving it some thought and decided that repeating some of the older contest themes, every now and then, won't kill me, especially now that there are twice as many contests. So, here are six of them for you to choose from (generally the ones that get requested most often) for the January 1st contest (remember, only vote for one):

#1 Alternate Realities II
Reimagine a character in another time period or dimension/universe, or, do a kind of "what if?" thing where some important event in the character's life turned out differently (i.e., what if Martha Wayne's husband and son were killed by a mugger and she became Batwoman?)

#2 Comic Fusion II
An amalgam contest: fuse two, or more, characters together into a new entity (you can make up your own or use an existing one.) Note, that, for the sake of continuity, I'm using the Comic Fusion title here, but, if this is chosen, I'll be expanding the subject matter so that you can make amalgams out of any characters, not just comic book ones.

#3 Diorama Contest II
Make a custom base, diorama, or playset of some sort for your figures to hang out in. You do not have to make a custom figure to go with it.

#4 From The Movies II
Any character from any movie. In addition to theatrical releases, Direct-to-DVD and Made-for-Television movies will also be legal subject matter.

#5 Ostentatious Originals IV
Original characters only; showcase your creativity and imagination!

#6 Vile Volitions II
Only villains and bad guys allowed. Time to crush the heroes and take over the world once and for all! I'd probably include the option of making evil versions of good characters too.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 pm

I think movies is a theme not touched on often enough! # 4 for me.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 am

I agree. Movies it should be.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby therapist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 am

Im voting for #3 dioramas are awesome.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 am

Dioramas!Please :mrgreen: #3
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 pm

before I vote I have a couple of questions. the dec. 15th contest and this new contest will be for 2012/2013, correct?
but as for the new contest in the movie field does it include animated movies or just movies in general. I am interested cause some movies like the new marvel/dc movies could be in that category? or like the movies of pixar and the new tin tin. or is it limited to live action movies, just want to make sure.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am

All the current custom contests, after the Frigid Festivities one, will end in 2012 (remember: each contest has a two-month work time, so, they end two months after they're announced; for example, the most recent one, Independent Spirit, will end on February 15th, 2012.) Also, Captain Coder put in a "mouse-over" deadline feature on all the contests, a while back, just point your mouse cursor at the thumbnail image for any contest and the deadline will pop up, convenient, no?

For "From The Movies II", any movie at all is fair game as far as I'm concerned; it doesn't matter if it's live action, animated, stop-motion puppets/muppets, or whatever, as long as it's a movie.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am

yes I found the answer to my question last night, felt a bit dumb, but thats not the first time and certainly won't be the last. but really like the feature coder added very helpful.

thanks for the answer to the question, just curious. I like that contest, but my vote is going to lead towards #6, love the bad guys.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Next

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments