The Best RPGs Through The Ages

Video games, role playing games, board games, and any other game that has, or could inspire, your next favorite action figure

Moderator: Regulators

The Best RPGs Through The Ages

Postby BurningDoom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 am

A Look at the Top RPGs Through the Generations

RPGs, consistantly the genre with the most in-depth, story driven, and character driven games out there. Usually the games we as gamers spend the most time absorbed in, as well. Let it be known for anyone reading this (if anyone is), I AM NOT A FINAL FANTASY FAN! I think it is the most overrated RPG series of all-time that caters to the trendy emo crowd. That said, here is my top RPG experiences in my lifetime of gaming:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)
The original Zelda game for the good ole Nintendo. Recover the Triforce, battle monsters, gain treasures, and explore dungeons in the land of Hyrule.

Crystalis (NES)
Many called this masterpiece of action-RPGing a Zelda clone due to the top-down 2D gaming style. If it truly was, then it was the superior game. It had better graphics, better sound, an actual in-game story, a level-up system, and different areas complete with their own dungeons, overmap, and towns to explore.

The Battle of Olympus (NES)
A side-scrolling, action-RPG set within ancient Greek mythology. You set out on a quest to save your true love from the hands of a dark lord, and by defeating him you also save all of Greece. Integrates mythology, monsters, and Greek Gods superbly. A great challenge for fans of the genre.

Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
The best Dragon Warrior entry on the NES and the best old-school, turn-based RPG on the NES. This game had a very in-depth story for it's time and was very character driven for the time. Best graphics and sounds of the Dragon Warrior games on the NES as well.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
The greatest 2D Zelda adventure of all-time! Battle Gannon across the lands of Hyrule and the despairs of the Dark World.

Actraiser (SNES)
A very unique entry on the SNES. It combined action-RPG elements with SimCity-type builder elements and even a little bit of spaceship-shooter thrown in. I had a blast playing through this, and the little action-levels in-between a pretty challenging! You play God (literally) over a brand-new planet and fend off the planet's "demons" and create cities and lands for the people.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
A great RPG that centers around time-travel! The sci-fi story and different locations through time that you play through are what makes this game such as blast. It uses the basic turn-based battle system used for more RPGs of this era.

Breath of Fire II (SNES)
One of the best old-school, turn-based RPGs ever! Great graphics, interesting characters, awesome storyline, and a pinch of SimCity in it make for an incredible RPG!

The Legend of Legaia (PS1)
A unique RPG from Sony Computer Entertainment. Has your basic story of young boy sets out on a quest to save the world from certain destruction, with it's own twists here and there. But what makes this entry really stand out is it's battle system which uses different combinations of buttons to use different attacks. It's also unique in the fact that it uses a very different style of 3D graphics that most RPGs at the time weren't using, but rather action games and platformers of the time were using that style of 3D graphics.

Diablo (PC/PS1)
This game was the first RPG I truly got addicted to. There was just so many demons to kill, and weapons & armor to find! Hack-and-Slash your way through the levels of hell fighting hordes of demons, uncovering treasure, armor, and weapons, and fighting various demon-lords until you fight Diablo himself in the final level of Hell!

King's Field II (PS1)
I also thoroughly enjoyed the original and KF: The Ancient City. But KF II is my favorite entry into this unique RPG series. A fully 360 degree, first-person view, 3D world with real-time action-RPG gameplay. Tons of enemies, locations, spells, armor, weapons, and oh so many secrets to find! A high emphasis on exploration in this game.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Allaince (PS2/XBox)
Same gameplay style as Diablo but set in a medieval fantasy world rather than hell. Everything is bigger. Better graphics, better sound, more locations, more enemies., and longer game.

Neverwinter Nights (PC)
The next step above Baldur's Gate: Dark Allaince. This is hack-and-slash RPG perfection! Using D&D rules, incredible sounds and graphics, huge areas and so many different areas to explore, so many items, spells, weapons, side-quests, NPCs, enemies, it's just insane! The first time you play it you get totally absorbed into Neverwinter Nights until it's all over.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC/XBOX 360/PS3)
Single-player action-RPG perfection! This game is absolutely gorgeous to look at. It takes place in free-roaming, open-ended world that massive beyond belief! There are tons of towns, castles, dungeons, sprawling wilderness, and even a Hell Dimension to explore. So many choices, quests, guilds, storylines, and even an Arena to compete in. If you are an RPG fan at all, pick this game up! I also really enjoyed Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind when it came out, but Oblivion is simply superior in every conceivable way.

Agree? Disagree? Got your own list? Post it.

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Re: The Best RPGs Through The Ages

Postby Green Skin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:35 am

Pretty well done list, but no Secret of Mana? :shock: That game was awesome! One of my all time favorites.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Punstarr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 am

Final Fantasy 3 was pretty good as well.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby MrBlu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Fallout 3 was dope,hands down my favorite RPG ever.
when I meet the Devil I'm a say my full name

MrBlu
Fanatic Realmer

Location: below the heavens in hell with your new imaginary friend

Postby Dagger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Final Fantasy hands down the best RPG series ever! And I"m not EMO
Dagger
Avid Realmer

Postby Punstarr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15 am

It's weird... the term emo didn't even exist when I was in high school, nor did any folks (that I remember) who fit into the category of what I would consider a modern "emo" kid. We had goths, sure... but they weren't emo kids. Goths were into dark stuff, but none of the goths I knew were whiny about it. Different generations I guess...

No offense to anyone on this site who may consider themselves to be "emo"... but you've got to realize the "emo movement" has a really bad rep.
Punstarr
Realm of Famer

Postby A Common Enemy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Punstarr wrote:It's weird... the term emo didn't even exist when I was in high school, nor did any folks (that I remember) who fit into the category of what I would consider a modern "emo" kid. We had goths, sure... but they weren't emo kids. Goths were into dark stuff, but none of the goths I knew were whiny about it. Different generations I guess...

No offense to anyone on this site who may consider themselves to be "emo"... but you've got to realize the "emo movement" has a really bad rep.

Im goth, I eat emo's for breakfeast. Its kind of a war if you didnt know, Goth vs. Emo. with the Goths saying the emos are rip-offs (which they are...)

But back on topic.

Would you consider GTA and Assassins Creed RPGs? I know they have lots of RPG elements but idk....

"Feds come in pairs. Like buttcheeks."-Frank Castle
A Common Enemy
Elite Realmer

Postby BurningDoom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:37 am

PUNISHMENT5411 wrote:
Punstarr wrote:It's weird... the term emo didn't even exist when I was in high school, nor did any folks (that I remember) who fit into the category of what I would consider a modern "emo" kid. We had goths, sure... but they weren't emo kids. Goths were into dark stuff, but none of the goths I knew were whiny about it. Different generations I guess...

Im goth, I eat emo's for breakfeast. Its kind of a war if you didnt know, Goth vs. Emo. with the Goths saying the emos are rip-offs (which they are...)

But back on topic.

Would you consider GTA and Assassins Creed RPGs? I know they have lots of RPG elements but idk....

All I know is that emo ruined metal music. Now like the only good metal is old bands and Euro-Metal. Everything nowadays sounds sappy and whiney, METAL ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE WHINEY!!!

-Nate-
***CHECK OUT MY TRADE LIST***
Trade Movies, CDs, & Video Games at:
BurningDoom
Fanatic Realmer

Postby A Common Enemy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 am

BurningDoom wrote:
PUNISHMENT5411 wrote:

But back on topic.

All I know is that emo ruined metal music. Now like the only good metal is old bands and Euro-Metal. Everything nowadays sounds sappy and whiney, METAL ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE WHINEY!!!

-Nate-

Agreed. I only listen to 90's rock, classic rock, death metal, and black metal. Ugh annoying emo b!itches.

"Feds come in pairs. Like buttcheeks."-Frank Castle
A Common Enemy
Elite Realmer

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 pm

i must admit first i am a fan of the older ff games, and very good selection in your list too.
for me
Chronos Cross is one of the best ive played, multi options (team members also) for the time the graphics were exclent, and indepth story to boot (been the sequal to chrono trigger aint supriseing :lol: )
i Quite enjoyed Legends of Mana also a top game for the time.
lol anyone remember goldend axe .... :oops:
shadow
Inductee Realmer

Postby Wesr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm

i have the Sonic genesis collection and it has all the golden ax games on it, plus shining force 1,2 and shining in the darkness, and phantasy star 1-4.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Maximus91 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:40 am

DIABLO 2!!!! Thats all that needs to be said about rpg greatness ha ha. Pumped for 3 this year!
Check out my trade thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40788
Maximus91
Inductee Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Maximus91 wrote:DIABLO 2!!!! Thats all that needs to be said about rpg greatness ha ha. Pumped for 3 this year!

Take Blizzard a long time to pump out games doesnt' it? I liked the Neverwinter games except 2 hated my old PC with a passion. I still love the first two Lunar games and all the other RPGs for the Sega CD that Working Designs put out. The SNES and Genesis were the ultimate RPG systems.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby therapist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 pm

sephiroth wrote:
Maximus91 wrote:DIABLO 2!!!! Thats all that needs to be said about rpg greatness ha ha. Pumped for 3 this year!

Take Blizzard a long time to pump out games doesnt' it? I liked the Neverwinter games except 2 hated my old PC with a passion. I still love the first two Lunar games and all the other RPGs for the Sega CD that Working Designs put out. The SNES and Genesis were the ultimate RPG systems.

The SNES pumped out some of the best turn based RPGs ever. The PS1 had some amazing RPGs as well but ever since the PS2 Xbox generation RPGs havent been the same
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby Darththomas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 am

Therapist wrote:
sephiroth wrote:

The SNES pumped out some of the best turn based RPGs ever. The PS1 had some amazing RPGs as well but ever since the PS2 Xbox generation RPGs havent been the same

Agreed but Oblivion is steadily changing my mind
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Next

Return to Games of all Kinds