WAKE UP MARVEL!!!!

Want to gab about how pointy Batman's ears are or how far Spider-Man can go on a cartridge of web-fluid? Feel free to share your thoughts on all your favorite comics here!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: WAKE UP MARVEL!!!!

Postby pancho1007 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 pm

I never remember stating I support those decisions. I think Joe Quesadilla ruined spider-man all because he was not happy in his marriage so he felt no one could be. AVengers VS. Xmen I have complained about many times. Wolverine getting his own school ...I don't 100% HATE I think its SEMI interesting the way we have Cyclops leaning towards becoming more like Magneto and Wolverine leaning towards becoming more like Xavier. I don't think I would rage if they became enemies in the way Magneto and Charles did. But I don't fully support it either. I think were are disagreement comes from is I am viewing "Marvel recently" as the last few years where your "marvel recently" seems to be far closer. I just think they had some really good new ideas that they were using for awhile such as the Runaways. I do agree though that they should bring back an idea they had many moons ago it was called like Marvel next or something where they brought out a few titles for one or two issues featuring new teams or characters and saw what people liked and what sold. I think last time they did it they had a team of cyborgs. I really enjoyed that book and hoped to see more but nothing ever came

Therapist, now that it seems that we are kind of on the same page I now get what you are telling me...You are right to say that I am viewing this a little closer....I am mostly focusing on what is current( except Ultimate Universe, I just hated everything about it from the get go, except ultimates 3 because of joe mad).

I also agree that "before watchmen" is another cop-out way to grab another buck from the media...as far as Earth-2 is concerned, I thought that was just a rumor...but if it is true and they re-introduce Earth-2 then the possibility of you getting your fave characters Ted Kord and Kassandra Kane is increased. Nevertheless I think that Earth-2 has,is and will always be stupid. So heres hoping that Earth 2 is a rumor.

As for raging that Cyclops and Wolverine will be like Mags and Chuck....well Im more angry of the fact that its just predictable... and no matter how hard they try to cover it up by saying Wolverine just somehow developed this moral perspective that young x-men should only be in school is just garbage. Im sure by now everyone who has read schism has realized that the real reason behind the "Mutant Race" splitting up was Jean. How does this not make any self respecting comic reader not mad?

As for introducing New Marvel teams, I agree with what leafman said about kind of mixing it up with the old and established characters... I was just hoping for character creation like they did in the late 80's early 90's like Gambit, Psylocke, Havoc, Sunspot and pretty much the old New Mutants

your right there sales are doing good Justin Beiber is out selling the beatles well I guess he must be better then.

I believe that old jade jaw does have a point about Aquaman beating every ongoing Marvel title out there.. It cant be compared to bieber and the beatles... I mean thats just 2 entities(bieber and beatles) from 2 different eras...you have to factor in inflation and the sheer amount of human beings present 50 years ago. Aquaman (and in pretty sure most fan boys can agree with me here) is just a lame character...but DC did manage to find a way to make him look cool enough to outsell "current" Marvel titles.
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby therapist » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 pm

pancho1007 wrote:
I never remember stating I support those decisions. I think Joe Quesadilla ruined spider-man all because he was not happy in his marriage so he felt no one could be. AVengers VS. Xmen I have complained about many times. Wolverine getting his own school ...I don't 100% HATE I think its SEMI interesting the way we have Cyclops leaning towards becoming more like Magneto and Wolverine leaning towards becoming more like Xavier. I don't think I would rage if they became enemies in the way Magneto and Charles did. But I don't fully support it either. I think were are disagreement comes from is I am viewing "Marvel recently" as the last few years where your "marvel recently" seems to be far closer. I just think they had some really good new ideas that they were using for awhile such as the Runaways. I do agree though that they should bring back an idea they had many moons ago it was called like Marvel next or something where they brought out a few titles for one or two issues featuring new teams or characters and saw what people liked and what sold. I think last time they did it they had a team of cyborgs. I really enjoyed that book and hoped to see more but nothing ever came

Therapist, now that it seems that we are kind of on the same page I now get what you are telling me...You are right to say that I am viewing this a little closer....I am mostly focusing on what is current( except Ultimate Universe, I just hated everything about it from the get go, except ultimates 3 because of joe mad).

I also agree that "before watchmen" is another cop-out way to grab another buck from the media...as far as Earth-2 is concerned, I thought that was just a rumor...but if it is true and they re-introduce Earth-2 then the possibility of you getting your fave characters Ted Kord and Kassandra Kane is increased. Nevertheless I think that Earth-2 has,is and will always be stupid. So heres hoping that Earth 2 is a rumor.

As for raging that Cyclops and Wolverine will be like Mags and Chuck....well Im more angry of the fact that its just predictable... and no matter how hard they try to cover it up by saying Wolverine just somehow developed this moral perspective that young x-men should only be in school is just garbage. Im sure by now everyone who has read schism has realized that the real reason behind the "Mutant Race" splitting up was Jean. How does this not make any self respecting comic reader not mad?

As for introducing New Marvel teams, I agree with what leafman said about kind of mixing it up with the old and established characters... I was just hoping for character creation like they did in the late 80's early 90's like Gambit, Psylocke, Havoc, Sunspot and pretty much the old New Mutants

your right there sales are doing good Justin Beiber is out selling the beatles well I guess he must be better then.

I believe that old jade jaw does have a point about Aquaman beating every ongoing Marvel title out there.. It cant be compared to bieber and the beatles... I mean thats just 2 entities(bieber and beatles) from 2 different eras...you have to factor in inflation and the sheer amount of human beings present 50 years ago. Aquaman (and in pretty sure most fan boys can agree with me here) is just a lame character...but DC did manage to find a way to make him look cool enough to outsell "current" Marvel titles.

no bro...earth 2 already has covers. It has a normal cover featuring the JSA (which is why I didn't mention them when I was bringing up my favorites that are missing) they also have a variant cover with the JLA donning alt universe costumes. they also Announced Worlds Finest which is a book about earth-2 Powergirl and Huntress being displaced from their universe and traversing different universes trying to get home. Which with that summery it leads me to assume there are more earths still to come. Im not trying to defend the Wolverine/Cyclops schism Im just saying its not as bad as Schism itself or Xsaction Wolverines Moral compass has been there for awhile with not wanting to have X-23 in X-force. I know it doesn't make it better I just think its not as bad

I am not saying aquaman is a bad book (honestly havent read it yet. almost caught up with all the New52 cept aquamans lol) I am Just saying Beiber has been number #1 in every month he has released an album.

I agree with you on disliking Ultimates I enjoyed Marvel Zombies as my wife enjoys anything horror so we enjoyed that together. Until Marvel zombies 3...then it got to be too much. but outside of that I haven't liked anything else from Ultimates. Now that we are talking strictly about the NOW of Marvel I think we can get a long a lot better. I agree I dislike a lot of what Marvel has been doing. I thought that whole Spider-man losing his Spider senses and learning kung fu to replace it was dumb. I think Spider-man and Wolverine being on EVERY team is dumb. I do however surprisingly like Red Hulk ...yeah I know shocking right? I like Red Hulk because Marvel can use him to milk money while leaving normal hulk to be angry and alone. Not slapped on some avenger team. I also like Secret Avengers (again Bias because it has some characters that are high up on my like list).
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby leafman343 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Wow this thread grew, I think I'm done here, ain't nothing left for me to say except "I agree" and "I haven't read that one so I have no opinion" :)
And pancho (did I call you poncho earlier? :-" ) no need to apologize bro, it's all cool.

With that said, go forth and destroy!.. er,r discuss things civilly!

Hi ho Silver! AWAY! \:D/ need a superman flying smilie
leafman343
Fanatic Realmer

Postby pancho1007 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 pm

no bro...earth 2 already has covers. It has a normal cover featuring the JSA (which is why I didn't mention them when I was bringing up my favorites that are missing) they also have a variant cover with the JLA donning alt universe costumes. they also Announced Worlds Finest which is a book about earth-2 Powergirl and Huntress being displaced from their universe and traversing different universes trying to get home. Which with that summery it leads me to assume there are more earths still to come.

That just broke my heart, but Im somehow hopeful that they are just doing this to bring back some characters like Power girl, Huntress and the JSA.It would be cool to see though after bringing those characters into the main one that the 2nd Earth would just be destroyed by some super-evil character.( I know it sounds morbid but it would end the whole Earth 2 nonsense.)

I agree I dislike a lot of what Marvel has been doing. I thought that whole Spider-man losing his Spider senses and learning kung fu to replace it was dumb. I think Spider-man and Wolverine being on EVERY team is dumb. I do however surprisingly like Red Hulk ...yeah I know shocking right? I like Red Hulk because Marvel can use him to milk money while leaving normal hulk to be angry and alone. Not slapped on some avenger team. I also like Secret Avengers (again Bias because it has some characters that are high up on my like list).

Yes! The whole kung-fu spider-man was just too much...(still giving them props for trying to give some spotlight to an Asian character though.) Also for those 2 characters being on every team is another factor that just makes me want to scream. My friend and I were discussing this at work, and he came up with a pretty cool idea that it would be great to see most of the characters in Marvel or even in DC to age as time passes which in turn gives the writers a cool way of trying to hand down "Legacy" and a way of creating new characters instead of plastering spidey and wolverine on almost all major teams.

As for liking RULK, everyone has their odd choice, ( I personally have no problem with RULK). I mean, like Nate Grey even though he is the "Alternate version of Cable" ( I know there is pretty much nothing original about this character, but hypocrisy lives in everyone right?) I dont even know who is in the secret Avengers..I guess they took the word "Secret" seriously, just kidding... I just dropped all Marvel books as of late, except for New Mutants, thats why I dont know.

Wow this thread grew, I think I'm done here, ain't nothing left for me to say except "I agree" and "I haven't read that one so I have no opinion"
And pancho (did I call you poncho earlier? ) no need to apologize bro, it's all cool.

With that said, go forth and destroy!.. er,r discuss things civilly!

No you called me Pancho... Thank you for staying calm and keeping a cool head...I shall try my utmost from now on to do the same O:) ...Look at that "Inspired" by a different character. :idea:
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:34 pm

So much negativity... I know what I shall do! Make a positive thread!!! so everyone can be HAAAAAPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

But personally I love Marvel but really dont feel like debating everything I seen I disagreed with ...lotsa post so OFF TO OPTIMISM!!!!!!
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby shapp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Ok so you guys obviously know your stuff, so rather than debating or anything, what would you all suggest me to read? I don't get a lot of time or money to sink into new comics so I am usually pretty far behind the loop. The last that I read and enjoyed was Nation X, and I always prefer X related stuff but am open to pretty much anything.
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Postby therapist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 pm

shapp wrote:Ok so you guys obviously know your stuff, so rather than debating or anything, what would you all suggest me to read? I don't get a lot of time or money to sink into new comics so I am usually pretty far behind the loop. The last that I read and enjoyed was Nation X, and I always prefer X related stuff but am open to pretty much anything.

Well as of right now the titles I am reading every month are
The Walking Dead
The Boys
Uncanny X-force
Daredevil
Venom
Secret Avengers

and thats all I have been getting every month but it all really depends on what you are in too. If you like X related stuff then I would also suggest X-men Legacy, Wolverine and the X-men, & Uncanny X-force. If you go any questions concerning different titles feel free to PM me I read over 100 titles a month ...sometimes around that many in one week
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby Wesr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm back into comics for the first time in nearly 15 years but i'm getting trade paperbacks of the old stuff. They've changed their stuff so much i don't recognize it so i'm sticking with the 60s-mid 90s.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby pancho1007 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey Shapp if you really insist on reading X books I would recommend New Mutants... I personally think that there aren't that many good X books as of the moment, but Marvel has been here before and they have managed to pull it off then... I'm sure they will do it again...

I know what you mean Sephiroth, for me it feels that I'm just waking up from a dream and the entire world has changed...
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby jes13rz » Mon May 07, 2012 2:35 am

I do agree that the books that marvel is producing as of late is not as good as what they were doing in the late 90's. Just to be fair, Marvel is just killing it with their movies.Avengers made $200 million in 3 days, printing out good stories is the least of their concerns. I also agree that passing down legacy is a cheap gimmick, Miles Hernandez is a bad concept not because of his skin color, its because its just bad."Black Fury" I think it's all right, it gives the avengers a bit of mixture racially. :D So as long as Marvel is making millions from their movies you can expect sub par stories like "schism" and "avengers vs. x-men".
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

Postby pancho1007 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm

"Black Fury" I think it's all right, it gives the avengers a bit of mixture racially.

How about other black characters taking the role as director of shield? I mean why change someone's skin color just to add a bit of mixture. I get what youre saying about the company as a whole is doing great, but if the bad stories keep pouring the company as a whole will go under. No more movies, no more action figures, no more cartoons...
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby therapist » Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 pm

pancho1007 wrote:
"Black Fury" I think it's all right, it gives the avengers a bit of mixture racially.

How about other black characters taking the role as director of shield? I mean why change someone's skin color just to add a bit of mixture. I get what youre saying about the company as a whole is doing great, but if the bad stories keep pouring the company as a whole will go under. No more movies, no more action figures, no more cartoons...

Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Ultimate Nick Fury been Black since the beginning? So that's not really Changing his race seeing as he isn't the same as the 616 counterpart (who is still white as far as I know). I think the reason they may have did it was because to most people Nick Fury IS the director of shield just randomly having someone else (except possibly Gabe Jones) would be kind of annoying. Reports show most people, especially casual fans, LOVE black Nick Fury AKA Samual Jacksons Nick Fury and the character has gained them a large sum of money.

Gotta agree with Jes. When the movies are making them Millions (if not billions) then they can keep printing whatever hey like. Truth be told a very large number of people who went to see Avengers have never picked up a comic book in their life. They just know these characters because they are pop culture icons, their films, their TV shows, and other marketing. They don't too much have to worry about comic sales as hardcore fans will have no choice, kids will buy anything and everything, and as DCs sales have shown us bringing in new casual fans can be an amazing untapped money making scheme. DC made their brand sell better by making it more accessible to the drones and mindless masses. Nintendo did the same thing with its Wii gaming system now Marvel will tap those pop culture junkies by bringing in hoards using their movies.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby jes13rz » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm

How do you guys add on whatever the other person said? but to answer the question putting someone else entirely new would be harder to sell than changing his/her skin color. sure you can put blade, or whoever you want, heck they could have made tinkerbell as the director of shield, however the back story would also have to be changed. nick fury is known to be the director of shield( which i personally think should have been played by denzel!) :D . you really dont have to worry about comic sales affecting the company as a whole. im no marketing strategist, but i can pretty much assure you that that the majority of their profit comes from movie ticket sales and other merchandise now. think of it like mc donald's, they have been around forever, they dont need to change their burger recepie because theyre already a titan of their industry. the company is just doing whats best for them, and sadly the comic part of it is suffering, so in retrospect you got what you wanted. marvel is awake, and it has become aware of its potential.like skynet!!! :shock:
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

Postby pancho1007 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 pm

How do you guys add on whatever the other person said?

There is an option on top of the message box that says "quote", it's right next to "code". you just copy whatever you want and paste it in between quote.

but to answer the question putting someone else entirely new would be harder to sell than changing his/her skin color. sure you can put blade, or whoever you want, heck they could have made tinkerbell as the director of shield, however the back story would also have to be changed. nick fury is known to be the director of shield

I get that, but nick fury was also known to be white.I guess what im trying to say is that why did they do that? why pick fury? not cap?thor? or iron man?yes, i get that they are making great movies, but how long do you really think this is going to last? teenage mutant ninja turtles was big in the 90's...now theyre just a memory. i get big industries...i know that "profit" is what makes the wheels turn. Im just asking them to not forget what made them big in the first place.
pancho1007
Casual Realmer

Postby jes13rz » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I get that, but nick fury was also known to be white.I guess what im trying to say is that why did they do that? why pick fury? not cap?thor? or iron man?

Thanks for theaching me how to "quote" pancho. :D i think you are missing the point, if i may be so bold to say, marvel is so big now that they can get away with anything.also it is not something they did recently, black fury has been around since the birth of ultimate universe, which was actually the time that marvel movies were starting.it really sadens me to tell you this but, comic industry is turning into a fleeting memory. we are a dying breed.dont get me wrong, i totally agree with whatever was said in this post, cept for blavk fury,im not trying to be argumentative. i jst think that marvel is too big for bad comic book writing now.
jes13rz
Inductee Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Comics Corner