Are you embarrassed/ashamed.

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Are you embarrassed/ashamed.

Postby therapist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Caretaker68 wrote:I am proud of the hobby that i have, i have about 11 or 12 shelves/display area's around my house full of my toys, both out of the package and customized. I'm 43 and i love to show off my work, my friends are all geeks like me and i have made figures of their role-playing characters for them, of course they keep them at my place so they can show them off to new players we occassionally get. LOL. I have custody of both my kids, my ex does not and even when they were little they knew enough to keep their hands off the shelves, i'm not mean about it and never was so i'm not an ogre whenever they did lol but my daughter was a bit defiant several times. Bottom line is be proud of show off your hobby, have fun with it. I keep all mine, i dont sell them, just a line between hobby and business that i cant cross......their my toys dammit! :D Just playing, i have a quote on my computer "Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it."....that says it all to me.
I'm just here to help...........and for the inadequecies i feel when i see customs that blow mine away....a lot do, but i still keep customizing away. :D

Really? I encourage my girls to play with any and everything I have on display. I constantly wake up to find my oldest playing with my beast wars toys. Optimus and superman have attended many of tea partys.
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby Darththomas » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 am

Therapist wrote:
Caretaker68 wrote:I am proud of the hobby that i have, i have about 11 or 12 shelves/display area's around my house full of my toys, both out of the package and customized. I'm 43 and i love to show off my work, my friends are all geeks like me and i have made figures of their role-playing characters for them, of course they keep them at my place so they can show them off to new players we occassionally get. LOL. I have custody of both my kids, my ex does not and even when they were little they knew enough to keep their hands off the shelves, i'm not mean about it and never was so i'm not an ogre whenever they did lol but my daughter was a bit defiant several times. Bottom line is be proud of show off your hobby, have fun with it. I keep all mine, i dont sell them, just a line between hobby and business that i cant cross......their my toys dammit! :D Just playing, i have a quote on my computer "Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it."....that says it all to me.
I'm just here to help...........and for the inadequecies i feel when i see customs that blow mine away....a lot do, but i still keep customizing away. :D

Really? I encourage my girls to play with any and everything I have on display. I constantly wake up to find my oldest playing with my beast wars toys. Optimus and superman have attended many of tea partys.

Certain things I don't let my boy touch but it's generally my customs as I'm unsure of the safety of them. Everything else he can as long as he asks first, his recent favourite is my force unleashed Rancor, he loves it and it's nearly as big as he is :lol:
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby therapist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

darththomas81 wrote:
Therapist wrote:

Certain things I don't let my boy touch but it's generally my customs as I'm unsure of the safety of them. Everything else he can as long as he asks first, his recent favourite is my force unleashed Rancor, he loves it and it's nearly as big as he is :lol:

I try to get my second oldest (shes 13) interisted in nerdy ff but shes just not in to it. Which is fine too heck I gave one of my girls a large portion of my play arts collection (which I late rebought)
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby Dhevix » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Not really a collector here given that I simply don't have the money nor the time to invest presently, but I've posted photos of a couple of the figures I have picked up (My much-loved Advent Children Sephiroth and the lovely Huntress) on Facebook and if anything had purely positive reaction, though that could just be to do with of the vaguely amusing captions they went along with them, ha :)

Heck, my boyfriend even went to the trouble of ordering me a Harley Quinn figure for Christmas this year (Arkham Asylum, I prefer her more 'classic' design but it's really nice regardless)!

It probably helps that I tend to surround myself with people who are into more alternative and indie culture, however; most of the people I know these days are generally open-minded sorts.
Dhevix
Newbie Realmer

Postby terryzom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Ditto in the "not a huge collector" department, but I've had a 90's POTF Darth Vader, Sandtrooper, and Micro Machines Death Star on my desk at work for about XX years, and only one time has anyone ever commented on it, and in a more positive fashion. I added a miniature 3" Zentraedi Queadluun powered armor about 4 years ago, and one person thought that was cool and said something 8)
terryzom
Avid Realmer

Postby kenm2474 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 pm

People dont usually say anything negative about it as I have my Gun Collection displayed in the same room.
kenm2474
Casual Realmer

Postby SSwaleedAlpha2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Not Neccesarily my friends make jokes sometimes because I don't have many friends that share a love for superheroes and action figures as much as I do....but If I met someone or went on a date with a girl or something It wouldn't be the first thing i would Say though...DONT JUDGE ME =;
"The Alpha male is here"
"It's not the goals you achieve it's the person you become achieving them"
SSwaleedAlpha2
Inductee Realmer

Postby therapist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 pm

SSwaleedAlpha2 wrote:Not Neccesarily my friends make jokes sometimes because I don't have many friends that share a love for superheroes and action figures as much as I do....but If I met someone or went on a date with a girl or something It wouldn't be the first thing i would Say though...DONT JUDGE ME =;

Im judging you :|
"Untouchable Customs"
therapist
Realm of Famer

Postby The Real Question » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Therapist wrote:
SSwaleedAlpha2 wrote:Not Neccesarily my friends make jokes sometimes because I don't have many friends that share a love for superheroes and action figures as much as I do....but If I met someone or went on a date with a girl or something It wouldn't be the first thing i would Say though...DONT JUDGE ME =;

Im judging you :|

I allways judge you :|
The Real Question
Elite Realmer

Postby zeldaman33 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:40 am

some of my family members make fun of me but its ok.. most of them dont even know what a hobby is... my wife doesnt like thins much but its ok as well...they are my "dolls" and ill collect them as much as i can :)
zeldaman33
Casual Realmer

Postby zeldaman33 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Green Skin wrote:People usually try to give me crap about it...and then I tell them how much they sell for and they promptly shut there mouth.

haha exaclty the same with me
zeldaman33
Casual Realmer

Postby iplayforkeeps » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

I've been a collector for years but recently re-kindled my love of the hobby. Luckily my smokin hot wife supports my habit and is known to suprise me with a figure every once in a while :) Last week she bought me a 10th anniversary arbiter from macfarlane and this week she picked up a couple mech tech transformers. Other than her most people judge me for it and I always get compared to steve carrell in the 40 year old virgin. But what evs
@bargaincollect
iplayforkeeps
Newbie Realmer

Postby Xem » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 am

I'm 25 years old, and I still march into Toys R Us with my head held high, knowing that while I may look ridiculous, I'm going to come out with some really cool looking stuff, and ultimately that's all that matters. All of my friends are into miniatures and/or doll collecting, so they don't really think me silly with my hobby (as they have no room to.) My dad thinks it's neat that I go around the state looking for under market value action figures, and my mom is entirely indifferent about the entire thing.
Sometimes I babysit, and occasionally a kid will come in and see my wall-of-Marvels, and it looks like they're about to vomit rainbows. I feel like this is a hobby I will stick to for a very long time, regardless of how silly it may appear to others.
Xem
Inductee Realmer

Postby shapp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 am

Omg I swear I laughed so hard that the hot dog I an eating almost killed me then felt like it was coming out my nose. That was hilarious man!
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Previous

Return to General Action Figure Chatter