Casting, questions, Info, links UPDATED

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Casting, questions, Info, links

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Forget the bay. Added a new one to the 1:6 list and it has reasonably priced figures as well! A local shop I was turned on to by BZCustoms.
http://www.toyanxiety.com/16figurepartsshop.aspx
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:03 am

Just added a new link to the baaic casting and molding with an in depth explanation of types of materials and degassing. It also has plenty of links to supply companies!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby CB2001 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Has anyone used this tutorial/method? Does it work very well? I came across it while I was searching around the web for any additional websites that sell resin action figure parts (like the ones posted in the first page of the topic): http://www.playtrek.com/pages/HeadMolding.htm
CB2001
Regular Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 am

CB2001 wrote:Has anyone used this tutorial/method? Does it work very well? I came across it while I was searching around the web for any additional websites that sell resin action figure parts (like the ones posted in the first page of the topic): http://www.playtrek.com/pages/HeadMolding.htm

I am by no means an authority on casting but I do experiment. The method in the tutorial seems plausible for a quick copy. The latex is usually expensive and wood epoxy is a different strength and durability than casting resin. Clear casting resins are basically bondo. Most resins are refined versions of an industrial grade product. It takes experimenting to mix them for casting purposes. The latex is simar to the brush on method used for larger sculpts with fine detail that can be lost with a poured mold. Personally I think the price of the latex alone would give me cause to stick with a tried and true method. There are plenty of links I've added on nere for casting heads and I would also recommend POP SCULPTURE, a book written by sculptors and casters that do work for companies like Bowen. You can learn to sculp, cast, and cut sculpts to insert articulated points on statues for molding use if you want to try your hamd at making a figure from scratch. The tutorial in your link also states that the finished piece takes MOST types of paint, does not specify what types or how well they adhere. If you're looking to experiment though, as I said before, it sounds plausible.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby CB2001 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:47 am

RedRebelCustoms wrote:
CB2001 wrote:Has anyone used this tutorial/method? Does it work very well? I came across it while I was searching around the web for any additional websites that sell resin action figure parts (like the ones posted in the first page of the topic): http://www.playtrek.com/pages/HeadMolding.htm

I am by no means an authority on casting but I do experiment. The method in the tutorial seems plausible for a quick copy. The latex is usually expensive and wood epoxy is a different strength and durability than casting resin. Clear casting resins are basically bondo. Most resins are refined versions of an industrial grade product. It takes experimenting to mix them for casting purposes. The latex is simar to the brush on method used for larger sculpts with fine detail that can be lost with a poured mold. Personally I think the price of the latex alone would give me cause to stick with a tried and true method. There are plenty of links I've added on nere for casting heads and I would also recommend POP SCULPTURE, a book written by sculptors and casters that do work for companies like Bowen. You can learn to sculp, cast, and cut sculpts to insert articulated points on statues for molding use if you want to try your hamd at making a figure from scratch. The tutorial in your link also states that the finished piece takes MOST types of paint, does not specify what types or how well they adhere. If you're looking to experiment though, as I said before, it sounds plausible.

Thanks for the info. :D
CB2001
Regular Realmer

Postby barefootabe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 pm

ive never ordered any cast before so i was wondering if "dead man customs" was a reliable place to buy from?
check out my trade list!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36407
barefootabe
Elite Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:36 pm

DMC, CKCASTING, and CastingCave are the most reliable that I've ordered from. They do get backed up on occassion because so many people order from them. Their cast are generally impeccable. Casting Cave has some that are some type of plastic that is extremely workable. I like CK's clear casted heads and DMC has an excellent selection and clean sculpts. BZ also does great casts- Just look at Stevid's work. Of course he uses all of them. 4LCC has some great Star Wars 6" and the BAF Kalibak!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby bjpalm1994 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Hey Guys, Anyone know if DMC is having any issues? i placed an order back in February and have not heard anything back from him. I see where PayPal has already proccessed the payment but I have not received any order? :( I have sent a couple of e-mails to the link on his page but have not had any response. Any suggestions? :-k
later Dudes.
bjpalm1994
Fanatic Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 am

bjpalm1994 wrote:Hey Guys, Anyone know if DMC is having any issues? i placed an order back in February and have not heard anything back from him. I see where PayPal has already proccessed the payment but I have not received any order? :( I have sent a couple of e-mails to the link on his page but have not had any response. Any suggestions? :-k
later Dudes.

Last I heard his air compressor had broke down at the beginning of February. He replaced it and was catching up on casting orders. Then Later in the month sometime him and his new baby became ill. He has since, I believe, resumed filling orders. As I have mentioned he gets a lot of orders. I too have had hold ups with an order from DMC but he always delivers. Emails... Not sure but I attempted that route sometime last year. Hope I've helped some.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby CB2001 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Quick Question: I heard that Broken Arrow Toys (who does casts for G.I. Joe scale figures) takes three months to ship an order. Is this true?
CB2001
Regular Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:05 pm

That is a question I would ask Jin. He has said he uses them or has. I have heard them recommended several times and seen the outcome of their work but never ordered from them. Sorry bro! I would bet that their ship time does vary though. Casting Cave has a fair amount of G.I. Joe parts and accessories. They probably have the shortest ship time in my experience. Are you looking for a specific piece?
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby CB2001 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm

RedRebelCustoms wrote:That is a question I would ask Jin. He has said he uses them or has. I have heard them recommended several times and seen the outcome of their work but never ordered from them. Sorry bro! I would bet that their ship time does vary though. Casting Cave has a fair amount of G.I. Joe parts and accessories. They probably have the shortest ship time in my experience. Are you looking for a specific piece?

Thanks for the info. :)
CB2001
Regular Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Just thought eveeyone would like to know DMC is closing until further notice! He has promised to complete current orders and plans on opening sometime in the future. Don't worry though this usn't the first time and he plans on expanding his catalog in the meantime so when he re-opens it will be even better! Check out the website for his reasoning behind the delays and so forth.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 am

Black Arachnis updated the casting Cave at the end of March. Lots of new Goodies. Check it out!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby CB2001 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Now, I know that people suggest Smooth-On kits or the Alumilite mold kits for doing casts of pieces for any scale. But, I'm always open to looking at possible alternative, namely the DIY-types, just to see if there's any techniques that I could possibly use (not for creating molds, but how to get a piece ready for casting, creating mold boxes for pieces, etc. I've picked up a few noticeable tips, such as using a thin layer of petroleum jelly on an item being casted helps in making sure that the item doesn't stick to the item, though I know most kits come with a mold release). I found this video here just to see what's out there. Anyways, while watching the video (at 10:24), this woman revealed she used a product called Friendly Plastic to make casts from the mold. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Friendly Plastic, has used it and what their opinions on it is.
CB2001
Regular Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info