Skin tone

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Skin tone

Postby SSwaleedAlpha2 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Uh, hello i have been using testors model masters skin tones I forgot the name but it's not the warm kind or the dark tint kind I guess just the regular but I have used on one custom already( my first custom) but when I put it on it was kind of clumpy and it dried like that was it just the paint cuz I stirred it or did not do something right or what. THANKS
"The Alpha male is here"
"It's not the goals you achieve it's the person you become achieving them"
SSwaleedAlpha2
Inductee Realmer

Re: Skin tone

Postby Darththomas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:20 am

Try diluting the paint then apply in multiple layers. You want a milk like consistency to your paints, it will take a little longer than just slapping it on neat but the results are well worth it.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 am

I like to start out painting skin tones bye doing multiple very very thin layers of paint that aren't vary diluted, and ad more water for each layer I do.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Yep, dillute it with water or windex. Brush on in thin layers and checkout Darth's awesome Specatular skin tone tutorial!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby SSwaleedAlpha2 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:40 am

RedRebelCustoms wrote:Yep, dillute it with water or windex. Brush on in thin layers and checkout Darth's awesome Specatular skin tone tutorial!

Thanks
"The Alpha male is here"
"It's not the goals you achieve it's the person you become achieving them"
SSwaleedAlpha2
Inductee Realmer

Postby claytonemery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 am

Another diluting agent is Gel Medium. It looks like white milk but is thick like syrup. Buy it at an art store. I asked a clerk for "something to add to my paints for it self-levels" and she handed me a $5 jar.

Using a dimpled pallete, I make a pool of Gel Medium in the bottom of the dimple. Then I dab the skin tones around the rim, then slowly stir in the colors I need. (These are with acrylic paints.) If you keep the paints good and "wet", it should dry fairly smooth.

Any brush painting will leave brush strokes. (It's one way they identify Renaissance artists, by microscoping the brush strokes and comparing to other works.) If you want REALLY smooth, you'll need to learn how to airbrush.
claytonemery
Newbie Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info