Ideas for fabric

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Ideas for fabric

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 am

Ok, working on a DC Universe Classics six-inch Vigilante and I'd like to use fabric for his mask to keep the range of motion for the head. I've never used any fabric material for a custom so I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions. I looked around a JoAnn Fabrics when I was looking for ideas for another custom, but nothing jumped out at me. So I'm open to ideas to those with more experience than myself. Here's what Vigilante looks like for those unfamilar, it's the red mask I'm looking to create:
packerbacker180
Regular Realmer

Re: Ideas for fabric

Postby loosecollector » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 am

How about modifying ML Bishop's scarf?
loosecollector
Elite Realmer

Postby bobtheodd » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 am

....or, you could do what Billmaru did. Turned out nice....plus its a good story plus Bill is a awesome guy, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx9N6L9BeCI
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 pm

He did a bang up job but I think I want a fabric so I can lower the mask if I like.
packerbacker180
Regular Realmer

Postby claytonemery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 am

The best fabric fake I use is brown or white coffee filters. They're strong so they don't break when soaked in water. Cut narrow strips and dip in white craft glue, then layer them on the figure. You can slide them around and smooth/add wrinkles as needed. And you can "bend" it around corners and curves. You can even let it harden slightly, then lift it away from the figure to dry. That gives a 3D effect like when your t-shirt doesn't like flat on your neck, but sticks out half an inch. If it shreds, just peel it off and start over. It makes a great cloth-y knap that holds paint well and looks right.

For real fabric, the thinnest and smoothest I've found is white handkerchief material. It's practically see-through. Again, dip in white glue and layer.
claytonemery
Newbie Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info