Clear material for figure glasses?

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Clear material for figure glasses?

Postby timone317 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm looking for some sort of material I can use to make accessories that are similar to glasses. I already have a mold of the accessory to make copies of the piece, and I have a few methods for making the clear portion (small, dremeled chunks of 3D glasses lens and pieces from transparent laundry soap cups), but I'd like to know if there's any other material out there that I can use to make the lens as it's a bit difficult carving the material I've been using. Can anyone think of anything that might help? The material needs to be colored either red, green, or blue. It also needs to somewhat thick so it can hold better when glued onto the accessory.
Last edited by timone317 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
timone317
Inductee Realmer

Re: Clear material for figure glasses?

Postby Pock63 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm

I've used clear blister plastic before, I've also carved hot glue to make clear things before. Another option is to cast the glasses in something clear like apoxie glue.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby timone317 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Yeah, that would work great for reading glasses, but I'm trying to find clear material that's colored. I searched a bit and it doesn't seem as if anyone has ever made a colored blister pack. However I found a pill organizer earlier today that has clear flaps with weekdays written on them, and the material is exactly what I'm looking for (it's easy to carve with a knife or dremel and it bends easily with help from pliers)...but the flaps are purple, so I'm still a little stuck.
timone317
Inductee Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 am

Why don't you just use translucent paints, I know that both model masters and tamya make those, also most permanent markers dry translucently.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby Patraw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

I've used colored plastic from various food items (Mountain Dew bottles for green for example) to make transparent items with success in the past. If you want something thicker than that, various LEGO sets have transparent cockpit canopies, and other structures, that you could probably cut colored lenses out of.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby timone317 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:36 am

First, sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread.

I would try that but I'm afraid those lego parts would be almost too thick and hard to work with.

I think I'm settling on recoloring pieces from a blister pack. Now the question is...where I can find fairly thick blister pack material? I think the packages from the Toybiz ML line would work but I can't remember how thick the plastic was on those. I've tried blister packs from the new ML line and a Star Wars VC blister pack but both were far too thin.
timone317
Inductee Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 am

timone317 wrote:First, sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread.

I would try that but I'm afraid those lego parts would be almost too thick and hard to work with.

I think I'm settling on recoloring pieces from a blister pack. Now the question is...where I can find fairly thick blister pack material? I think the packages from the Toybiz ML line would work but I can't remember how thick the plastic was on those. I've tried blister packs from the new ML line and a Star Wars VC blister pack but both were far too thin.

If you PM me your address I can send you some old ML blister packaging, it does look slightly thicker to me.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby timone317 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:58 pm

That would be great...I'll send a PM in a second.
timone317
Inductee Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 am

WOW has fairly thick packaging. Castingcave has glasses for sale. Maybe you could ask about colored translucent glasses. Probably the most knowledgable caster I've come across!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info