which sealent

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

which sealent

Postby meeko » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:17 pm

hi,
i am new to customizing and was wondering what everyone uses to seal their figures with. as the only sealants i can find are d.i.y paint sealers, i am especially having trouble with the joints/hinges

any help would be appreciated
meeko
Newbie Realmer

Re: which sealent

Postby John11756 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm

i get testors spray sealer from hobby shops they have a few different ones like satin or gloss. for the joints you can use clear super glue (krazy glue works best because it has the brush) or a paint on sealer like mod podge.
John11756
Regular Realmer

Postby terryzom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 pm

I use Plaid® Mod Podge® (lol, no this is not an ad, haha) everywhere but with the joints I seal first with Krazy glue... if joints are your main problem bear in mind this is really a paint rub issue and not truly a sealant issue. I can attest that even Krazy glue will chip off on the most troublesome joints. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40394 and also the following guides designed for pros, by pros :D
http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php?id=35
http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php?id=69
http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php?id=54
terryzom
Avid Realmer

Postby meeko » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:25 am

hi thanks for the replys
do you have a link for the testers stuff(i cant seem to find it)
or would this be ok...
Plasti-kote Premium Spray Paint Clear Acrylic Sealer (sorry i cant post a link) but its on ebay)

but yeah after reading those link it is a rubbing problem, so i grind abit away but i still want to seal it once its finished

thanks again
meeko
Newbie Realmer

Postby John11756 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm

check the model paint section at hobby lobby
John11756
Regular Realmer

Postby meeko » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:45 pm

whats hobby lobby(i am guessing a store) is it in the uk
i'm gonna pop into town tomorrow and check out the gameswork shop store, and theres also 2 stores (antics & modelzz) that stock airfix kits etc so hopefully they will have something
meeko
Newbie Realmer

Postby ole jade jaw » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Just make sure whatever you buy is designed for soft plastics. That's really important. A lot are for car models and harder materials and will be gummy on action figures. Testors dullcote and glosscote are my staples. They are not cheap, and not available everywhere, but they're definately worth it.
ole jade jaw
Fanatic Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 am

I have had great results with Krylon finishes availabke at Walmart. Matte is my favorite. Joints may take some sanding. You can always dab some superglue. Check the tutorial first or get a permanent marker in the color of your figure and use that on the joint!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info