Best video game RPG

Video games, role playing games, board games, and any other game that has, or could inspire, your next favorite action figure

Moderator: Regulators

Best video game RPG

Postby newwavetoys.ca » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:50 pm

What is the best video game system to buy if you want to play role playing games ?
What is the best role playing game for a video game system ?
(I am an 80's Dungeons & Dragons guy.)
Thanks.
newwavetoys.ca
Casual Realmer

Re: Best video game RPG

Postby Wesr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 pm

The Super nintendo had a ton of them if you're into retro. The genesis had a few good ones including some strategy/RPG and a Shadowrun game. Xbox and 360 don't have much old school style. Sadly turn based RPGs are a dying thing in the US other than some on the PC.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Xem » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:13 pm

If you're into D&D then PC is your best bet, honestly. There are several AD&D games for the PC, such as Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II, Torment and Neverwinter Nights. Arcanum is also great and made in a similar style, though it isn't actually an AD&D game. They're older games, but they're still pretty awesome.

I don't think any of the current generation of consoles really offer that kind of game play. I remember there being some Baldur's Gate run on Ps2, but never looked into it. Fable I and II, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Arkham City/Asylum(more action and detective-y, but still has some RPG elements, kinda) are really great modern RPGs that are multi-platform (including PC) that may strike your interest if you want something newer.
Xem
Inductee Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Sadly the console RPG is all about dead thanks to FPS games being incorporated. I agree the PC and handhelds are where the old school RPGs and turn based ones are.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Rogue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

If your talking modern theres the Xbox & Knights of the Old Republic or Morrorwind. Latest system Xbox 360 and definitely Oblivion or Skyrim both are amazing in my opinio. :-)
Rogue
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Rogue
Inductee Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:17 am

Skyrim for the win and if you're looking for a cheaper option then go Oblivion. Months of fun!!

As for old school RPG, it's gotta be final fantasy 7, nothing has ever even come close to it in my opinion.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm

darththomas81 wrote:Skyrim for the win and if you're looking for a cheaper option then go Oblivion. Months of fun!!

As for old school RPG, it's gotta be final fantasy 7, nothing has ever even come close to it in my opinion.

FF6 was just as good in my opinion, especially for the system it was on. Sadly turned based old school rpgs only exist in japan now.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby Xem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 pm

sephiroth wrote:
darththomas81 wrote:Skyrim for the win and if you're looking for a cheaper option then go Oblivion. Months of fun!!

FF6 was just as good in my opinion, especially for the system it was on. Sadly turned based old school rpgs only exist in japan now.

I actually felt FF6 was the superior game out of the two. I'm sad that Square doesn't hold the same standards of quality for their RPGs nowadays. Or maybe I'm just getting old, and less adaptive to change..
Xem
Inductee Realmer

Postby Darththomas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Never played 6 so i couldn't comment but 7 took my RPG cherry and i'll always remember it :lol:
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Wesr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:54 am

It was FF2 and 3 in the US that got me liking RPGs, before that i found them dull. Now i'm killing myself to get all the old ones.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby swayze.express » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

yeah FF 6 or 7 for me too
swayze.express
Inductee Realmer

Postby Wesr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 am

Then i hit on some then little known ones like Shadowrun, 7th Saga (man that game was tough), and the Ys series which turns out to be as big in Japan as Final Fantasy.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby newwavetoys.ca » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks everyone !
newwavetoys.ca
Casual Realmer

Postby Wesr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 pm

The PSP actually has some good RPGs too. I don't think they have the Tales series but they have 2 remakes of the Star Ocean games.
Wesr
Realminator

Postby mentos888 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:04 pm

i liked mass effect, fallout, and elder scrolls and grand theft auto. awesome games.
mentos888
Inductee Realmer

Next

Return to Games of all Kinds