Identify an old monster play set thingy for me?

Chat about your favorite figures from the past, get help figuring out the one guy's name from that one series, or tell your favorite childhood action figure story.

Moderator: Regulators

Identify an old monster play set thingy for me?

Postby Patraw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

Years ago, my parents picked up this weird monster making play set thing for me from an out-of-town auction they went to. It was a metal contraption that consisted of two features: (1) a transparent plastic domed chamber, with a metal mesh floor (the heating element), where monsters were "baked" and (2) a trash compactor type device for squishing the monsters down into cubes again. Basically, what you'd do is plug it into an electrical outlet, the chamber would heat up, and you'd put the cubed, rubbery monsters into the chamber and they'd "unfold" back into creatures again, and then, you'd squish them down, and repeat the process. Fun and incredibly unsafe for children to play with ("Easy Bake Oven" for future serial killers?) I'll admit I was evil and cooked a poor grasshopper in it one time (it turned red, just like a lobster). I'm guessing the thing was made in the 60s or 70s, as there's no way a toy company would have made something dangerous like this in recent years. Any ideas what is was or who made it? I don't have it anymore--can't even recall what ever happened to it.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Re: Identify an old monster play set thingy for me?

Postby Galactape » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

It rings a bell with me, but can't place my finger on a name. Lemme think for a while.
Galactape
Realm of Famer

Postby Spoon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Thingmaker or Creepy Crawler set?
Current eBay auctions: ------>Click<------
Stuff for trade/wants. Updated 9/01/14: ------>Click<------
eBay Feedback +1075
Realm Feedback +22
Spoon
Regular Realmer

Postby Patraw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:21 am

Someone on another forum I post on knew exactly what it was! Turns out it's Mattel's 1960s "Strange Change Machine".

You can read more here:

http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/str.html
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Return to Figures of the Past