Future Contest Ideas

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Future Contest Ideas

Postby CAb00se » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I have an idea. Has anyone seen the show face off, on sy fy channel? Why not do a contest of custom figs based off the creations on the show. The concepts and ideas are really great and are pretty much real life custom action figures. Just a thought...might be cool.
CAb00se
Regular Realmer

Postby Jarred_706 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

That is one of my favorite shows on TV...just wanted to throw that out there...
Jarred_706
Regular Realmer

Postby Patraw » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 am

Yeah, Faceoff is a pretty cool show, and I think a custom contest focusing on the designs from it would be neat-o (you could even let participants do customs of the contestants too if they wanted to.) You'd definitely need to have a link with photos of all the projects for people who haven't seen the show though.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Patraw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 am

Here's a fun and torturous idea for a contest that came to me while I was brushing my teeth after breakfast yesterday morning:

One Hour Custom Contest

One hour. Sixty minutes. Three-thousand-six-hundred seconds. That's all the time that you've been allotted for this customizing challenge. The goal is to see just how much you can accomplish while working under a very tight deadline.

- When you decide to start your one hour work period is up to you, but it must be continuous. You cannot separate the time out into smaller sessions; in other words, you may not work on your custom for, let's say, twenty minutes, stop, and then do the other forty minutes later, or on another day. There are no "time-outs"; if you take a break to go to the bathroom, answer the phone/door, get something to eat/drink, etc., that lost time counts towards your hour. After the time limit is up, you're allowed to give paint, glue, modeling compounds, etc., time to dry/set before you handle your figure for the purpose of shooting entry photos, but you can't make any additional physical alterations to your entry once the hour has expired.

- You may not do any physical "prep" work prior to beginning your entry. For example, you can't remove the factory paint or disassemble the base body you intend to use ahead of time. EVERYTHING you do to your custom must be done during the one hour work period, not before or after.

- You don't have to use the entire hour if you don't need it. For example, your average person probably wouldn't need more than a minute or two to complete a simple head swap custom.

- Everybody is on the honor system. A Figure Realm moderator isn't going to show up on your doorstep with a stopwatch and a video camera to document and verify that you worked on your custom for exactly one hour.

- There are no limitations on subject matter, size/scale, or materials for your submission(s). The focus is entirely on what you can create in a very small window of time, not on what you make or how you go about doing it. Challenge yourself, but be realistic about what you can reasonably accomplish in one hour.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Love it! That one is definitely in.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby HeartBreakKid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I know of at least one person who frequents the contest who will cheat this but have at it guys guess we cant let one person ruin the cool concept.
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby Green Skin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 pm

yamivash 0 wrote:I know of at least one person who frequents the contest who will cheat this but have at it guys guess we cant let one person ruin the cool concept.

I figured we'd get at least a couple people that would cheat, but I can't think of any practical way to enforce the time limit. Still a cool idea though.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Darththomas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Green Skin wrote:
yamivash 0 wrote:I know of at least one person who frequents the contest who will cheat this but have at it guys guess we cant let one person ruin the cool concept.

I figured we'd get at least a couple people that would cheat, but I can't think of any practical way to enforce the time limit. Still a cool idea though.

Hopefully people wouldn't cheat but i'm sure the voters would be able to see if someone took longer and hopefully vote low for said cheater.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Shinigami » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Or vote low because something looks very good even though it really was done in an hour. I like the idea of this contest, but it's hard/impossible to do online without any supervision.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 am

In the same vein as the recent tribute contest for me, howzabout another challenge focusing on some other Figure Realm member?

- You can either do a custom in the "style" of the customizer or make a character that the customizer has previously done (i.e., if customizer "X" made Nacho Blast Wolverine two years ago, then you can make a Nacho Blast Wolverine as an entry.) Depending on who gets chosen, other submission options might also be appropriate, if the person in question is known for doing particular things.

- If this theme was selected for a future poll, then you'd nominate three customizers if you chose this contest; whomever gets the most votes will be the focus of the challenge. Note that (1) the customizers you choose must be Figure Realm members, (2) you can't nominate yourself, and (3) you also can't nominate me, because that's already been done. If there's a tie, than Green Skin can do some kind of tie-breaker.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Patraw wrote:In the same vein as the recent tribute contest for me, howzabout another challenge focusing on some other Figure Realm member?

- You can either do a custom in the "style" of the customizer or make a character that the customizer has previously done (i.e., if customizer "X" made Nacho Blast Wolverine two years ago, then you can make a Nacho Blast Wolverine as an entry.) Depending on who gets chosen, other submission options might also be appropriate, if the person in question is known for doing particular things.

- If this theme was selected for a future poll, then you'd nominate three customizers if you chose this contest; whomever gets the most votes will be the focus of the challenge. Note that (1) the customizers you choose must be Figure Realm members, (2) you can't nominate yourself, and (3) you also can't nominate me, because that's already been done. If there's a tie, than Green Skin can do some kind of tie-breaker.

I like it!
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 am

I think "Deadly Demons II" would probably be a good way to accomodate the idea emmbro30 had for a contest focusing on a demon army vs. his angelic customs.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Incom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:13 pm

I've been a FR member for only a short time now, but I am absolutely stunned by the contests that follow each other up. The ideas for the contests are amazing, every time! I'll see if I can actively become involved by offering ideas, votes and who knows enter a custom or two in the future :D

Keep it up FR!
Incom
Regular Realmer

Postby shapp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 pm

I'd like to see a contest that is restricted to either star wars, mu, or gi joe scale figures. With the amazing work I have seen from both Incom and Starwarsgeek, it would be cool to see what people could come up with.
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Patraw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:11 am

I think shapp's idea for a 3-3/4" figure contest would be cool. I'd like to see a 12"/sixth-scale contest at Figure Realm someday too.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments