DIY Photo stuff

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Re: DIY Photo stuff

Postby Incom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Darklord's extensive photo tutorial has practically become a mantra of some sorts. Great advice for everyone!

Haven't got enough posts yet to post pictures, but I made a lightbox from an Ikea Drona box. Google it and you'll see the one I mean. It's an awesome box, that is foldable. It's about 16" on all sides. I cut out the sides and top and attached pieces of an old white blouse in the gaps. I mainly use three desktop lights (sides and top) and have recently made two cloth backdrops (black and white). The backdrops attach inside to the back, using velcro. I drape them down in a slight bend and place my custom in the box.

I'm a bit of a photography nut as well and I always use a tri-pod for shooting my customs. Timer set at 2 secs (to prevent little shocks from me pressing down the shutter). ISO at the lowest, aperture widest (unless I'm shooting a figure pointing or aiming at the camera, then I up the aperture to F11 or something like that). Using these settings, I can even shoot great pictures in little to hardly any light. Just as long as the camera can focus on the subject.
Incom
Regular Realmer

Postby Jaiman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26 am

The way I take mine is using a light-cube. They're not expensive and they help you to produce very professional shots. They key is taking the photos in natural light. The cube material diffuses the light to give all-round coverage and eliminates harsh shadows.
Jaiman
Newbie Realmer

Postby Incom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:13 am

Here's that lightbox I talked about:

Incom
Regular Realmer

Postby shapp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:16 pm

What is that made out of Incom? I've wanted to make one but just haven't had the time to get around to it
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Postby cosmicfantasycustoms » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:01 pm

wow, that is amazing.
cosmicfantasycustoms
Regulator

Location: http://www.figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40241

Postby Incom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:34 pm

shapp wrote:What is that made out of Incom? I've wanted to make one but just haven't had the time to get around to it

I took an Ikea Drona box (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30219281/), cut out the sides and top, attached cut out piece of an old white blouse and that's it. Later I added a black and a white backdrop, made of lengths of smooth cotton fabric. These are held in place by a strip of velcro in the back of the box.

It's perfect for 1/18 as well as 1/6 scale figures and (small) vehicles. For larger pieces I just hang up a large sheet of black or white fabric and turn on a couple of desktop lights.

I always use a tripod and a 2sec delay on my camera.
Incom
Regular Realmer

Postby Incom » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Now, this is a really neat little product! If they'd only put in a black and grey background, instead of all those neon coloured ones....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502 ... me_popular
Incom
Regular Realmer

Previous

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info