Yellow Paint Help

Need help getting your custom completed? Looking for your next idea? Do you need some new tips or suggestions to complete your project? Come chat with us!

Moderator: Regulators

Yellow Paint Help

Postby Dravenheart » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Ok, some previous talk about red paint got me thinking and searching, and after a couple tries I decided to ask. Anyone know of a good yellow paint that applies smooth and doesn't take a hundred coats to look good? Currently working with Chrome Yellow, but no matter what it takes a lot to cover. I tried it over white and it started turning almost orange. I bought Cadmium Yellow LT, but it's a bit lighter than I want. Been using Model Master paints, but I've recently delved into some Citadel. So, does anyone know of any good yellow paints that look great, but aren't as hard to apply? Thanks ahead of time.
Dravenheart
Inductee Realmer

Re: Yellow Paint Help

Postby Shinigami » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I had a VERY good experience with Model Masters Insignia Yellow on my last two figures. And I do mean very, it was almost fun.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby bobtheodd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I like Tamiya.
bobtheodd
Elite Realmer

Postby Dravenheart » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try those paints out.
Dravenheart
Inductee Realmer

Postby ~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 pm

I also hear positive things about white painted then transparent yellow over it personally I just go a bijillion coats.
ImageImage
~♥XxGeekyGabixX♥~
Regular Realmer

Postby whiskeytango » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 am

I find myself painting a lot of yellow these days, and a method i've found that works really well is to use citadels yellow base paint to start. It used to be called iyanden darksun, not sure what the new name is. Their "base" line has much more pigment in it than regular paint, so it requires less coats to cover. On top of that, i do a very heavy drybrush (as in i only wipe off like half the paint instead of most of it, but still "dust" it on like i would with a regular drybrush) of whatever shade of yellow i want it to look. After that, i usually shade with citadel ogryn flesh.

You can see some of the results of this technique here:

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=37518

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=45549
Check out my Customs Blog here: http://whiskeytangoscustomshop.blogspot.com/
whiskeytango
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Dravenheart » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, a bajillion coats is what I've been working with, but it's utter agony when it comes to joints.

I like your technique, Whiskey. Looks great. I just ordered a flat yellow to start with, so I'll see how that comes out. Appreciate the details!
Dravenheart
Inductee Realmer

Return to Custom Help / Questions / Info