Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Find out the latest news related to Figure Realm. You are encouraged to make any comments, suggestions or report any problems with the web site.

Moderator: Regulators

Re: Vote For The Next Custom Contest Theme!

Postby Patraw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am

#5 Museum of Curiosities, I think there's a lot of potential for really creative/interesting projects with that one. Kodykoala and Hemble come to mind in particular when I try to imagine the type of things we might see as entries.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby Batman1016 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 am

I'm gonna have to go with Curiosities. I even have a really cool, if exceptionally obscure, idea for it.
Batman1016
Regular Realmer

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am

Lone Wolves!
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby shapp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 pm

#5 Museum of Curiosities

just can't pass up seeing the possabilites
shapp
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 pm

This next group of themes is a second chance round. With the expection of Winged Wonders, these are all themes we've seen before but didn't have enough steam to win.

#1 TV Land
Make any person/character from a television show, past or present: Friends, Glee, Jeopardy, Law & Order, Married With Children, Murder She Wrote, The Twilight Zone, etc. No cartoons/animation, just actual actors/actresses (I might allow puppets though.) If the character has appeared in both movies and television, that's okay, but you have to make the TV version--in other words, you could make an Adam West Batman, but not a Christian Bale Batman.

#2 Winged Wonders
For this challenge, the goal is to make any character that has wings. The wings can be either organic or mechanical in nature, or, something even more exotic like pure energy. Stuff like Hawkman/Hawkgirl, Annihilus, Buzz-Off, Nemesis Enforcer, LOTR Balrog, Decepticon Seekers, etc.
- The wings don't have to be functional, they can be ornamental. They don't necessarily have to be located on the character's back either (for example, Namor's teensy ankle wings would be legal).
- You're not allowed to put wings on characters that don't normally have them (i.e., you couldn't glue a pair of butterfly wings onto the Incredible Hulk and submit "Fairy Hulk" as an entry).

#3 Retro Games
Time to go old school, when polygon counts were low and sprites were king, and make any character/thing from a console/computer video game released before the year 1995. Modern remakes of old games (Bionic Commando Rearmed for example), or new games intentionally made in the retro style (like Megaman 9 and 10), don't count--the game has to have been published pre-1995.

#4 DC Nation
Marvel has had a contest, Indie comics have had a contest, but no love for DC. For this contest make a custom of any DC character. Characters from their imprints like Vertigo and Wildstorm are also fair game.

#5 Yo Joe!
Anything and everything having to do with Hasbro's G.I.JOE franchise. Make your favorite Joes, Cobras, Iron Grenadiers, Dreadnoks, Oktober Guard, etc., however you want. Any incarnation of G.I.JOE (toys, cartoons, comic books, live action movie, video games, etc.) is fair game. Adventure Team, Combat Heroes, RAH, Renegades, Resolute, Sigma Six, Spy Troops, etc.; the possibilities are endless.

#6 Deadly Demons II
Figure Realm has been plunged into the Nine Hells, if you don't want to burn, you'd better craft yourself an infernal buddy fast! Simply make any demon/devil character for this one, including original creations (half-breeds are also okay.) Devilman, Hellboy, Mephisto, Malebolgia, Beezlebub, Succubi/Incubi, etc.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Batman1016 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Winged Wonders.
Batman1016
Regular Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:57 pm

DC Nation
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby Pock63 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

yo joe
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

Postby supersizeme » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 am

DC Nation
supersizeme
Regulator

Postby Patraw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

I think it's time that G.I.JOE and Cobra had a contest devoted to them at Figure Realm, so I'm going with Yo Joe! for my vote.
Patraw
Elite Realmer

Postby HeartBreakKid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:00 pm

#5 Yo Joe!
Friendly neighborhood moderator-Any Questions,Concerns,Just looking to chat feel free to PM!
Official member of the Untouchable Customs Team .
HeartBreakKid
Regulator

Postby RedRebelCustoms » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 am

DC NATION.
REDREBELCUSTOMS
RedRebelCustoms
Elite Realmer

Postby Tim 121RVC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm

#3 Retro Games
Tim 121RVC
Inductee Realmer

Postby Green Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 am

Looks like we have a tie between DC Nation and Yo Joe. I was an 80's kid so I'll have to cast the tie breaker in favor of Yo Joe! Here is the next batch. Big thanks to Patraw for contributing half of this list!

#1 Bling Thing
This competition is all about the Benjamins! There are three different approaches you can take to this challenge:

1) Customize any character who's typically depicted as being filthy rich. Tony Stark, Lex Luthor, Uncle Scrooge McDuck, Ritchie Rich, Uncle Pennybags, etc.

2) Craft a figure that's literally made out of money or some other expensive/precious material. Stuff like Nugget from Rock Lords (gold), Swamp Thing with a body made out of dollar bills (something he actually did in an issue of Hellraiser one time), etc.

3) "Pimp" out any character with "bling". Put so many gold chains around Deadpool's neck that he can't move, cover Optimus Prime's chassis with faux diamonds, etc. Basically pretend the character has more money than common sense and load them up with expensive and gaudy accessories.

#2 Combiners
This challenge focuses on characters that can temporarily join with others to create super/deluxe figures. We're talking about Combiners/Gestalts like Bruticus, Puzzler, Interlink Spawn, Lion/Vehicle Voltron, Power Rangers Megazords, etc.

- To make life easier, you don't have to make all the components of the Gestalt, unless you really want to (i.e., nobody expects you to customize all six G1 Constructicons for a single entry). Instead, you can simply make one member/unit of the combiner team - OR - craft a custom of the completed Gestalt that doesn't come apart. In other words, continuing with the Constructicons example, you could just make Long Haul by himself or a stand-alone Devastator figure.

#3 Peg-Warmers
The goal of this contest is to make a custom of those toys that, for whatever reason (bad sculpt/paint, poor design, obscure character/property, heavily case-packed, controversial/dangerous, etc.), were hideously unpopular and remained on store shelves/pegs for months, even after being heavily discounted. Stuff like Dee-Jay (G1 G.I.JOE), Pruneface (Kenner Star Wars), Gore (Total Chaos Series 1 - so bad that McFarlane replaced him with the Conqueror in the 2nd edition repaints), etc. Of course, this being a custom contest, you should attempt to improve on whatever was wrong with the original, so that they'll "sell" this time.

#4 Small Fries
This contest focuses on the small folks. Whether they be children, teens or just small statured adults the important part is they are shorter than the average character. Entries for this contest must be smaller than the scale they are made for. For example contest entries for the 6-inch scale must be 5 inches tall or smaller. Think of people like Damian Wayne, Puck, Antman, Wasp, Gollum, Molly Hayes, Wilykit & Wilykat, Franklin Richards, and Yoda.

#5 Storyteller
..and now for something completely different. The goal of this contest is to tell a story. Instead of using the pictures to show off a custom, we will use them to show a sequence of events and the description area will be used to give context to the pictures. This isn't about creating a long or complicated story, in fact it should be kept simple. Think of things like Spider-man stopping a mugger, Human Torch pulling a prank on the Thing, Batman stopping the Joker, Superman fighting Bizarro, etc. etc. This challenge of this contest is not only how good of a custom can you make, but also how good of a story can you tell with them.

#6 Unreal Estate
This contest is about one thing; Location, location, location. The goal of this contest is to create a place. It can be a scale size set, a diorama of a famous event or a miniaturized landmark. Entries can be large and complicated like the castle from Super Mario 64, Avengers Mansion, JLA Watchtower, the Batcave, Titan's Tower, Daily Bugle Building, Four Freedoms Plaza or the House of Mystery. They can also be a small simple set like a roof top, alley way, street, bank vault, throne room, hideout, weapons locker, etc, etc.
Green Skin
Regulator

Postby Pock63 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

This one was a hard choice but I decided on small fries, because I love to see customs that are a different size then the figure run they are made for.
You'll be lucky if you're one of the few to find someone who can tolerate you.
Pock63
Realm Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Realm News and Comments