Advice Needed: Figures For Martial Arts "Poses"

Any news, rumors, questions or info about action figures.

Moderator: Regulators

Advice Needed: Figures For Martial Arts "Poses"

Postby ManicD » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm looking to find a few action figures, of no specific brand or genre, that have very good articulation on their joints, so that I could pose them in various martial arts positions for some pictures I want to take of them. Basically I am keeping a martial arts notebook of techniques I learn, and rather than hand-drawing them sloppily in my notebook, at the end of each night after I take a class, I want to pose the action figures doing those techniques, take digital pictures of them, and store those "notes" that way.

I'm thinking a larger action figure might be necessary, and I'm not ruling out something like a Mr. Fantastic type/Gumby figure that I can just bend the arms and legs into position. It won't look "realistic" but it will suffice to create a visual representation for me to store. I need to be able to have the figures kicking, kneeing and throwing elbows, so that's why a Gumby-type arm/leg figure might make the most sense, since I don't know if there exists a super articulable action figure that would otherwise do what I want.

Bonus points if it could be something cool like Marvel, DC, Starwars, etc. Any ideas on where to start looking?
ManicD
Newbie Realmer

Re: Advice Needed: Figures For Martial Arts "Poses"

Postby Darththomas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:33 am

Most marvel legends would do the job for you, as long as you avoid the bigger figures like hulk and juggernaught. However being as you're wanting it for martial arts pictures, I'd say you couldn't possibly go wrong with either Ken or Ryu from street fighter. You could either get the neca one which is quite big and bulky or the sota which is a bit more streamlined, both offer excellent articulation.
FaceBook Emlyn Darthomas Thomas
WIP viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25093
Darththomas
Regulator

Postby Redman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:04 am

Obitsu bodies are great, for their variety of natural poses.
They are easily available, not too expensive, they exist in many different dimensions, male as well as female.
Nevertheless, standard Obitsu bodies don't allow squat or crouched poses, and they are sold without a head, you'll have to borrow a head.
Redman
Newbie Realmer

Postby Shinigami » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:57 am

The Sota Ryu and Ken figures are very hindered articulation wise. Your best bet for great and realistic poses are most superarticulated Japanese toys like Figma, Revoltech, S.H. Figuarts.
Shinigami
Fanatic Realmer

Postby loosecollector » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm

If the Jap toys cost a bit, these might do the job bro.They are NECA Streetfighter. Better than the SOTA ones.

Poseability...
http://www.openthetoy.com/2009/03/neca- ... art-1.html
loosecollector
Elite Realmer

Return to General Action Figure Chatter