Subterranean - Custom Action Figure Contest!
View Contest Entries
Never again shall your toys feel sunlight on their faces! A terrible calamity has made the surface of the planet uninhabitable and all life has been forced underground. The goal of this challenge is to make a custom figure showing us what you think your favorite character(s) would look and act like if they had to spend their lives deep beneath the earth. Maybe they've mutated to adapt to their new environment or perhaps they're employing special gear to help them survive--it's all up to you and your imagination. This is essentially an "alternate reality" type of thing, so, wow the voters with your creativity!
Here are some examples to get you thinking:
1) Iron Man wearing a special suit of armor designed for tunneling, that's outfitted with interchangeable drills, rock-crushers, etc.
2) Tremor Punch He-Man riding his trusty annelid mount, Battle Worm.
3) A blind Namor The Sub-Mariner, living in an underground lake, who's more fish than man.
4) Magma Mane, a My Little Pony made entirely out of lava, that frolics in the planet's molten core.
5) Poison Ivy utilizing luminescent fungi instead of plants.
6) The Thing with the entire surface of his rocky body covered with sharp stalactites and stalagmites.
- Please don't make characters that normally live underground, like Marvel Comics' Mole Man, The Time Machine's Morlocks, or Dungeons & Dragons' Drow. The core concept here is to adapt a surface dweller to a subterranean setting. However, for story purposes, it's fine to build relationships around "the locals"; for example, it'd be logical to have April O'Neil and Casey Jones permanently relocate down into New York City's sewer system with the TMNT.
- There aren't any size or scale limitations and you should feel free to use whatever base bodies, parts, materials, tools, and techniques you want to customize your underground dwellers.
What are the rules of the contest?
It's hard to choose just one custom to vote on when there are tons of great entries, so Figure Realm has a unique voting system where you can vote on ALL the customs! When you click on an entry to view, there's a bar with buttons on it that lets you give the custom anywhere from 1 to 5 Stars. 1 Star means you think they could have done a better job on the custom while 5 Stars means you think they did a perfect job. The votes for each entry are added up when voting is closed and averaged-out to determine the winners. Also, don't abuse the system. Don't give your own custom 5 Stars and then give everyone else 1 Star to boost your rating. Remember, the votes are monitored.
Some points you might consider when casting your vote: Is the figure well-made? Is the paint smooth or crusty? Are there noticeable fingerprints on the sculpted parts? Is it an original custom? Is it accurate to the source-material (comics, photos, description in a book)? Are the pictures clear enough to see the details? Did the creator take the time to include a back-story or recipe? Is the custom so unbelievably awesome that you'd trade your girlfriend for it?
Craftsmanship and creativity are major factors to consider, but ultimately your vote should depend on how much you like the custom, and how well you feel it fits the contest theme.