This is the first of three warrior angle figures I created last year. I was in the midst of reading a lot of DC/Vertigo heaven vs. hell stories (Sandman, Hellblazer, etc.) and felt really inspired to create Vertigo-style super powered beings. :)
For this angel figure I used:
-XMC Angel Head/Wings + back piece (See WIP shot) with screw
-LOTR Gondorian Soldier (flexible rubber chest armor, arms, thigh plating, helmet)
-Random LOTR figure (Hair with modified front-strand)
-Blizzard Warcraft Knight (Sword)
-LOTR Saracen (Waist sash, created from head-robes from this figure)
-LOTR Series 1 RingWraith (Legs/pelvis, modified)
-Gel type Superglue
-Citadel and Vallejo acyrlic paints
-Vallejo Matte and Glossy varnish sealant
-x1 ML flight stand
-x2 Neodymium Magnets (ring/donut shaped)
-x3 Neodymium disc-shaped magnets (same diameter)
-Having recently purchased a cordless phaser-style handheld dremmel on Jin's recommendation, I set to work on the LOTR figure's torso. I gutted the original figure's sword-swinging gears/action, and used the screwpost inside to anchor the XMC Angel's packpiece which held in the wings.
-Significant dremmeling was necessary, and with some liberal use of superglue, it stayed. I cut circular shapes from the back armor and attached it around the wings.
-Trimmed the hair so it wasn't so straggley looking, and dremmeled down XMC Angel's head to fit the hair + attached.
-Fixed XMC Angel's factory mispainted wal-eye
-Constructed a waist shash to conceal the waist-gap created by joining non-articulated RingWraith pelvis to the Gondorian torso. The sash fit perfectly, and reminded me a lot of some etchings from "Paradise Lost".
::: About the Custom magnetic flight stand:
Since my angel figures are much heavier than most ML's, I removed the flight stands bottom with a flat screwdriver and stacked 3 or 4 balancing weights (purchased at a hobby shop - usually used to balance tires or remote control airplanes). They made the base stand extremely well, even with increased weight.
I then spray painted (Black Acrylic) the *inside* of the flight stand's base, and after it dried, sealed it with Citadel sealant spray. I sealed the base by re-gluing the bottom piece on I pried off earlier.
For the top section/flight "arm": I embedded Neodymium Magnets just above the wing-sockets on each angel figure, and used x2 ring-magnets + a single disc magnet superglued to a ML flight stand's arm. The result is fantastic - no more figures falling off the tiny plastic peg. It also allows a wide variety of posing options for your figures.
Check out the other two Archangles I've posted - "Michael", and "Fallen Angel", along with some battle photos. :)