Well I was going to do a different custom next but my wife insisted I did Mumm-Ra so, what the pregnant wife wants she gets. Went for the more muscular body on this one to make him look more menacing. I had loads of fun doing this guy but I knew he had to be good, I am extremely pleased with the results and feel the time that went into him was well worth it. He took about three weeks in my spare time. I decided to include his faithful companion Mammut which is just a vintage repaint. It seems to me the makers really missed a trick on this little dog, excellent sculpt which just needed a little dry brushing to really improve it (in my opinion). Anyways, onto the recipe:
1.Did Mammut first, a bit of dry brushing and painting of details, covered eyes and nose in superglue to give them a wet look.
2.Disassembled Festus 100% and gave him a good washing.
3.Painted shoulders, neck, abdomen and top of legs and feet and glue shielded.
4.Reassembled figure minus the head.
5.Cut pieces of head off to just leave the bit that fixes to the neck peg.
6.Dremmeled a hole into a super posable hobgoblin head that was big enough to fit the old head into and glued the two pieces together.
7.Filled in gaps with aves fixit.
8.Major rework of the head to make it the right scale including jaw, forehead and top of head.
9.A mixture of foam and aves for his shin guards. Aves for the fur on the feet and the feet themselves.
10.Skirt from a LOTR Aragorn figure with sides of belt sculpted.
11.Reworked cloak so it wasn't so bulky, I think it's a spawn cloak, don't know which on though.
12.Helmet made from scratch using aves fixit. Covered head in tin foil then sculpted over it. Small skulls from hero quest board game for the top (I know it should be snakes but a little artistic license is allowed right?)
13.Bandages are fully posable and are made from medical tape with twistie ties inside. I then soaked them in a cup of tea to give them an aged look, yes tea can be used in customs too.
14.Sword of Plun-dar is made from baron zemo hands stuck to a piece of an old weapon, two pieces of a figure box cut to shape and covered in hot glue (my first use of the hot glue method).
15.Topped the whole thing off with generous helpins of games workshop paints and a ton of drybrushing.
I think that covers everything, Mumm-ra and his faithful sidekick now stand menacingly next to my other thundercats. I'll be posting more pics in my WIP thread once this is in the showcase so go check it out. Next up Rataro pilot of the fearsome Rat-star. Enjoy.