Welcome to my Nightmare. This figure was originally going to be my 2nd Zombie, but a series of unfortunate events kept prolonging my agony. It seemed from the beginning this project was doomed, as every turn seemed to create a new problem. Even photographing her was a nightmare and you can see from the terrible pics that I was unsuccessful in that venture.
Just the same, I wanted to make this figure. I saw that page in Marvel Zombies #5 where the Humans on Asteroid M had made robotics for the Black Panther and they made a robotic suit for the Wasp head the Panther brought with him.
The body began as the original Wasp in black suit. Then I began sculpting, and sculpting and sculpting until she had more apoxie than a '77 plymouth had bondo. I obtained the red variant head from BA and zombified it moderately. I then had to find the perfect dome. This is where my nightmare began. The first thing I purchased was a case of test tubes (ever try to buy just one?!) but, I don't do metric conversions well so $15 later I was disappointed to learn the tubes were way too small to work. Next came 1" acorn vending machine bubbles. Again, after spending too much in gas looking for a vending machine that had trinkets in 1" bubbles, I finally broke down and bought some on a website. Of course, you can't buy just one so between buying 100 (smallest quantity I could get) and the outrageous shipping, I was now $40 in the hole on the figure. (not counting her initial figure cost or the BA head). Finally, I came across a silly little pink squirtgun that had some candy stuffed into a plastic tube on the top of the gun. This thing cost me a buck and worked perfectly. (Go figure!)
Next came the piping. Can I just tell you how uncooperative Apoxie is for making the piping? I had to wait until it was ALMOST cured to get it to roll up properly. It was horrible and kind of scary as I had already used an inordinate amount of apoxie on this project and if my timing was off on the piping I wasted more. Luckily that sort of worked out in the end. Not thrilled with it but it'll do.
The head. In the comic depiction the head is floating in a greenish liquid. Now there is no liquid I could use that wouldn't in time erode the paint on the head or break the plastic down ultimately, so liquid was right out. I decided to keep detail visible I would not even try to make it look like there was liquid in there so I now had to figure out how I would suspend the head as though it were floating. Enter 22 guage silver jewelry wire. I created a little section inside the helm area that looked like pumps and wires, and when I used the wire to stick the head on, it was sort of camoflaged as either a strand of hair hanging down or a wire sticking up. All in all it worked out ok and was surprisingly effective.
Finally came installing the dome. Easier said than done, careful dremeling and then no super glue. Super glue does horrible nasty things to clear plastic (adds a cloudy haze over it) so there was no supergluing this dome on! Instead I went ahead and apoxied it on. Now, this seemed like a great idea, I even had the foresight to paint the inside before I installed the dome. (I had this nightmare that I had put the dome on without the head in it a few nights before lol!) Unfortunately, the dome is really really clear and you can see where the apoxie is placed against it to complete the "seal" on the dome. DOH!! I can't reach a brush inside and paint that apoxie, so hopefully it's not too noticable.
Painted the whole thing silver...twice. She doesn't stand too well (she didn't before the mod began, she stands better now than she ever did!)so I painted her once and she fell over while she was wet. DOH! repaint! Nice shiny silver though, which led to the gozillion problems I had with snapping pics. Inside was too dark, outside everything reflected back between the clear dome and the shiny silver! Inside with a flash just made a mess! I think I managed to get one semi-ok pic and that's probably what you'll use to determine this was one of my worst customs ever!