I present to you all Nightwing!
But just not any Nightwing...suprasizeme's Nightwing!
Back in April of this year, suprasizeme posted an awesome custom of Beetle. I loved his rendition of this character as it has a very cool metallic green paint job reminiscent of a beetle's iridescent exoskeleton. Well, just like that, he generously and unselfishly gave it to me. I was speechless and ecstatic! What kind of a dude just gifts you with an amazing work-of-art that I'm sure he put hours of time and work into? A freaking cool dude, that's who!!!
I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to return the favor. I PM'd supra and asked him which characters he would like for me to work on. One of his options was Nightwing, which I felt would be an interesting project for me. supra was kind enough to come up with & prepare the base figure (see pic) which he mailed to me...an awesome canvas for me to play on. He also emailed me a couple of reference drawings for me to go by (see pics).
I kept referring to both drawings when painting his mask and arms. supra had mentioned how he really wanted the mask to be pointy. He also liked the blue detailing down his arms as seen in one of the drawings. I tried my best to combine the best from both drawings into this figure. I used a combination of matte black, semi-gloss black, gray, blue-gray, light blue and flesh-tone to paint this bad boy. I tried my best to pack as much detail as I could...using a very thin brush for most of the details. The only exception to that was when I used a permanent mark to outline the light blue arrows down his arms. A lot of TLC went into getting all the details just right.
suprasizeme mentioned that the batons were optional, but how can I not at least try to make some batons for such a cool dude? I dug into my weapons fodder bag and found two translucent batons from the McFarlane Toys Wetworks Grail figure. I built the back piece by kit-bashing different pieces from my weapons fodder bag. I added two magnets to the back piece. I also crushed some pieces of magnets into a "powder" and poured it into two holes that I drilled into the batons. Added some glue and covered the holes with some apoxie and paint. The batons magnetically "stick" to the back piece. The back piece is removable, just in case supra thinks it's too "crazy" and would rather display Nightie without it. :)
It was a lot of fun to collaborate with suprasizeme on this project. I truly hope that supra enjoys it once he arrives (he'll be on his way this week, brother). ;)
I took a couple of pics of Nightwing next to suprasizeme's Beetle as a sign of respect and admiration for a really cool Realmer and person.
Thank you all for checking Nightwing out.
Completed August 2012.
Thanks again, supra...I can't thank you enough for your amazing gift which I proudly display with my other Marvel Select figures.