Battlestar Galactica's President Laura Roslin was part of the canceled Series Four by Diamond Select (DTS) in 2009.
This figure is based on the apperance of the unproduced prototype whose images found their way online as part of promotions for that ill-fated wave.
::: How it was made:
-The suit was roughly sculpted first in Kneadatite, sanded down, and resculpted again in detail using black Aves Apoxie Sculpt.
-The hair was created using Kneadatite(Citadel's Green Stuff), and face were a composite of various processed (see below).
-The base figures used were x1 Caprica Six (legs/torso, neck) & the arms from a female BSG military suited figure, both heavily dremeled down/resculpted.
-The glasses came from a DCD Tim Hunter (trimmed/repainted)
The glasses are removable/adjustable, as I sculpted the hair strands to hold them in place.
-The "Searider Falcon" Book was originally a paper/faux leather dollhouse book. I printed on photopaper a photoshopped redux of the actual prop item. Cut it out, then Superglued it around the existing cover, and used a cutter to trim the edges into the BSG style.
-The military map was an accessory from a McFarlane figure flight deck crewman, with trimmed corners.
-Figure display bases came from various McFarlane SPAWN figures.
:: Creation Process for the Roslin headsculpt:
To achieve an accurate headsculpt, I decided to model the head in 3D using 'thatsmyface[dot]com', which allows you to generate an accurate action figure head from three images (front, left & right sides). I sourced out screengrabs from the TV series, and created an accurate face. However, weeks later when the 3D print arrived, the website printed it x3 larger than specified. Their customer service reprinted it -- however, this time at roughly 1:18 scale (GI Joe size) - far too small.
Using Hydroshrink, mixed with different .ml ratios of water in a silicon mold of the larger head - I created x3 castings using the rubbery hydroshrink, and left them to dry for two weeks. After they water had evaporated, I picked the best shrink, made a mold of that, which became the face. The rough 3D printing striations were still evident, so I wound up resculpting the face by hand anyway.
I was so pleased with the face and hair sculpt that I made made a mold of the head/torso in case I want to recreate this figure again someday.
The final piece was painted with a combination of MR. Hobby lacquer paints and Vallejo Acrylics. The final figure was sprayed with MR. Color clear coat, with has become my favorite spray sealant, above even Citadel Matte Spray. Mr. Color spray sealed both lacquer & acrylic elements well, and has a beautiful finish. Afterward, Citadel Glossy varnish was applied to her eyes, lips, and shoes.