This dio was the inspiration of this artwork from a fantastic artist Alexey Samokhin and you can find is others works here www mexart ru. You can see the inspiration pic plus the rest of the pics at my site in the Other Figure Section
While I was searching for reference material for a dio I want to make I came across the above artwork of a Mayan/Aztec looking structure with a waterfall coming out of it, I totally loved the look of the artwork and contacted Alexey Samokhin and asked would he mind me making his artwork into a diorama.
Alexey was more then happy with me making his artwork into a diorama and with a little customizing interpertation the diorama was made. I decided to make the dio into a glass/shadowbox display as I wanted to make it look like it had depth to it.
I have to thank Alexey for allowing to make his wonderful artwork into a diorama I had a great time making it and if you like to see more of Alexey's amazing work just hit the link above.
The Figure - The figure is made of the lower legs of a Hasbro's Indiana Jones Ugha Warrior, torso from Cemetery Warrior. The arms are from Hasbro's Star Wars Dagobah look and the head is from a Clonetrooper and the hands I got from the bits box.
The spear is made from plasticard, cardboard and model ship rope. The necklace is made using plasticard and model ship rope, the head piece was made using thinly cut pieces of marine foam. and the loin cloth and wrist and arm bands are made using pieces of left over cloth from the bits box.
The Base - was made frame was made using a picture frame from a two dollar shop, balsa wood and foamcore. the structure and stone work stream were made using High Density foam, I drew the design onto the foam and then with a led pencil scribed over the areas I had marked out.
The stone head was cut out from High Density foam and then carved into shape and was glued inplace I used a piece of sandstone and pushed that into the foam to give it a natural stone look.
The ground work was built up using plastacine and plaster and once dry I painted the ground and then used dried out potty mix to cover it. The palms trees were and other plants were picked up from the local pet shop, the palms were for a lizard inclosure and had to be repainted and then cut to look like palms. The palm trunks are real pieces of branches I got from the front garden and are perefect as they look like real palm trees.
The waterfall was made using woodland scenics water affects and the steam was done by using woodland scenics realistic water and PVA glue. The white froth affects on the water fall and stream were done by using a little watered down white paint. The hanging vines are pieces of vine a got from a florist, they come in large buddles and I just cut off pieces I wanted.
Once the base work had been done I got on the net and downloaded and printed off some backdrops and glued them inplace to give the diorama a little more depth.