I always wanted to make a Raiders Well of the Souls diorama but in 3-3/4" scale finding snakes that look good and finding a lot of them was my biggest problem so I decided to scale the dio down to a partial Well of Souls as you can see in the pics.
I have to thank inky_skin from the Raiders forum for sending me what snakes he had if he didn't I wouldn't have been able to build this partial dio THANKS BUDDY. Once the figures and dio where done they were painted and weatherd using Vallejo, GW paints and chalk pastels.
1: Figures - Indy and Sallah are both from Hasbro and Sallah is straight from the package, I filled the joints up using plastacine and then covered his main body with soaked tissue paper to hide the joints and to see how tissue paper would look as cloth at this scale and I was more then happy with the results.
Indy like Sallah is from Hasbro, I used KOTCS legs and torso the head is from TOD and the gloves are from the A-Teams Face figure. Once the parts were put together and placed in the pose I wanted I used superglue on the joints and then used modellers clay to cover the joints.
The Ark is again from Hasbro and I added the small rings by using thin plasticard and the poles are skewer sticks and the cloth pattern was done by adding soaked tissue to the poles and once dry painting the desion over the tissue paper.
2: Base - is a piece of blue marine foam I had lying around from some older projects. The lower half of Anubis was made by using a pair of Dragon legs and sealing the joints up with superglue and then filling the joints in with plastercine, The legs were then covered over using plaster bandages to give it a more stoney look once it was painted.
The skirt was made using blue marine foam and using a knife and sandpaper carved and sanded out the shape, I then hollowed out the bottom so it would fit over the legs and once I was happy with the fit over the legs I used a thin felt tip STABILO 0.4 pen I drew the design over the foam.
When I was happy with the design I then used a ball point pen and scribed over the felt pen so it would leave an impression in the foam. The sand was done by mixing plaster of paris with fine washed river sand and PVA/woodglue, I also added a beige brown to the mix so once it dried it would look like sand.
The snakes are from Hasbro and again thanks to inky_skin for sending me the snakes he had. The torches were made from small thin sticks and then thin model boat string was used to tie them up.
The flames were made by using Woodland scenics Ripplin Water kit and mixing it with orange, red and yellow and then dapping over the torches to simulate fire.