Identify an old monster play set thingy for me?
Other Forums: Action Figure Chatter, Custom Workstation, Figure Realm Comments and Questions, Off Topic, Trading Post

Identify an old monster play set thingy for me?

Posted in Identify Help

Years ago, my parents picked up this weird monster making play set thing for me from an out-of-town auction they went to. It was a metal contraption that consisted of two features: (1) a transparent plastic domed chamber, with a metal mesh floor (the heating element), where monsters were "baked" and (2) a trash compactor type device for squishing the monsters down into cubes again. Basically, what you'd do is plug it into an electrical outlet, the chamber would heat up, and you'd put the cubed, rubbery monsters into the chamber and they'd "unfold" back into creatures again, and then, you'd squish them down, and repeat the process. Fun and incredibly unsafe for children to play with ("Easy Bake Oven" for future serial killers?) I'll admit I was evil and cooked a poor grasshopper in it one time (it turned red, just like a lobster). I'm guessing the thing was made in the 60s or 70s, as there's no way a toy company would have made something dangerous like this in recent years. Any ideas what is was or who made it? I don't have it anymore--can't even recall what ever happened to it.

Posted by Patraw
on Monday, November 19, 2012
User Comments
Patraw -
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Someone on another forum I post on knew exactly what it was! Turns out it's Mattel's 1960s "Strange Change Machine".

You can read more here:
Spoon -
Monday, November 19, 2012
Thingmaker or Creepy Crawler set?
Group customs -
Monday, November 19, 2012
It rings a bell with me, but can't place my finger on a name. Lemme think for a while.
Write a new Comment
New Comment...
                                                                  Pictures & Links


Iron Man on eBay