Battle for Middle Earth Custom Contest
Unaltered toys shall not pass! The object of this challenge is to make a custom of one of the many characters/things from J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth fantasy setting
- The original books, and any and all official interpretations of Tolkien's works into other media, are fair game. Your custom can be based on characters/things from the novels, movies, cartoons, video games, toy lines, etc. While most people will think of The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, don't forget about the lesser known source material like The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
- Similar or derivative works, like Dungeons & Dragons and other high fantasy settings, are not legal. The focus of this contest is solely upon the mythical world and characters of J.R.R. Tolkien.
- "In-universe" amalgams or reinterpretations are okay, but you MAY NOT combine Tolkien characters with unrelated intellectual properties and genres. For example, you could make Gollum a Ring Wraith if you wanted to, but you're not allowed to submit stuff like Deadpool Gandalf or Cyborg Bilbo. You can be creative, just try to retain the spirit/flavor of the fictional universe in doing so.
- In addition to regular figures, you may also make dioramas/playsets (Weathertop, Hobbiton, Rivendell, Moria, etc.), mounts (horses, wargs, elephants, giant eagles, etc.), and fantastic creatures (ents, balrogs, Shelob, Smaug, etc.)
- You may utilize whatever base bodies, parts, materials, and tools you like to bring your Middle Earth customs to life. The Dark Lord Sauron will bestow gold, silver, and bronze Rings of Power (a.k.a., Figure Realm trophies) upon the three best entries!
Please remember to follow the Contest Rules
and to Vote Fairly
What are the rules of the contest?
- Please use the form here to submit your custom figure.
- At least a paragraph description is required with your entry. This paragraph, at a minimum, should answer the following questions:
- How was this custom customized?
- How does the custom fit into the contest theme?
- You may submit up to three different entries for the contest.
- Please only submit figures that were created for this contest. Do not submit old figures from the Showcase or previous contest entries.
- Your entry should not be posted on this website, any other website, or anywhere on the internet until the contest is completely over.
- The pictures for your entry will remain hidden until the contest ends and the voting begins.
- Your identity will remain hidden until after the voting completes.
- Do not include names, logos, signatures or anything on the pictures that will give you away as the creator of the custom. We want to keep the customizer's identity a secret until the contest is over.
- Don't wait until the last day to submit your entries. If your internet is down, or something happens beyond your control, you will miss the contest! Also keep in mind how many customs you can submit in one day. You may not be able to submit all your entries in one day.
- The contest is purely for fun... well... and bragging rights!
How does the contest voting work?
Anyone can vote for their favorite customs in the contest, you don't even have to submit anything to the contest! You do have to be logged-in to your Figure Realm account though so we can keep track of the votes. Only appointed Figure Realm staff can see the votes, so anonymity is guaranteed. Voting begins once the entry deadline is met and lasts for a week.
It's hard to choose just one custom to vote on when there are tons of great entries, so Figure Realm has a unique voting system where you can vote on ALL the customs! When you click on an entry to view, there's a bar with buttons on it that lets you give the custom anywhere from 1 to 5 Stars. 1 Star means you think they could have done a better job on the custom while 5 Stars means you think they did a perfect job. The votes for each entry are added up when voting is closed and averaged-out to determine the winners. Also, don't abuse the system. Don't give your own custom 5 Stars and then give everyone else 1 Star to boost your rating. Remember, the votes are monitored.
Some points you might consider when casting your vote: Is the figure well-made? Is the paint smooth or crusty? Are there noticeable fingerprints on the sculpted parts? Is it an original custom? Is it accurate to the source-material (comics, photos, description in a book)? Are the pictures clear enough to see the details? Did the creator take the time to include a back-story or recipe? Is the custom so unbelievably awesome that you'd trade your dog for it?
Craftsmanship and creativity are major factors to consider, but ultimately your vote should depend on how much you like the custom, and how well you feel it fits the contest theme.
What is the contest schedule?
|Begins: ||Contest Closed|
|Ends: ||March 15th, 2014 - Last day for submissions. No exceptions! Cut off is at midnight Central Standard Time.|
|Voting: ||March 16th - 22nd.|
|Managed By: ||Patraw|
Example Pictures for Ideas View Contest Entries