Monochromatic Custom Contest
You might think that you're hot stuff with a paint brush when you've got every color under the sun at your fingertips, but how will you fare when you're only allowed to use one of them? The object of this challenge is to see what you can, and can't, accomplish while working under that restriction. Beyond the obvious limitations a single color entails (no contrast/variety), you'll find things that are typically painted/drawn on figures, like stripes/spots, logos/symbols, tattoos, etc., will all have to be done 3-dimensionally instead in order to be visible in monochrome. Because your figure(s) will be uniform in appearance, as far as color is concerned, you'll be relying almost entirely on your custom toy's physical detail and form to impress the voters for this challenge.
- There are no limitations on subject matter (beyond Figure Realm's general rules), so you're free to make a one-color version of any character/thing you can imagine.
- You can pick any single color as your focus, and, if you elect to make more than one entry for this contest, you may select a different color for each submission. Likewise, if you wanted to make a single entry that consisted of multiple figures, you could paint each individual a different hue. The ENTIRE toy must be painted, in nothing but the unaltered color that you've chosen, including removable parts and accessories. Alternatively, if you've got the equipment/skills, you may also mold/cast your entry in the desired hue instead of painting it. If you make a transparent/translucent figure, it must be tinted, it can't be colorless.
- Any kind of paint is acceptable (acrylics, oils, latex, etc.), so long as your finished toy gets done up in a single, uniform hue. You may also apply transparent top coats and sealers (gloss, satin, matte, etc.), provided that they only alter the finish, and not the color, of the underlying paint job. No digital manipulation/photoshopping: you must physically colorize your custom toy for this contest.
- Keep in mind that getting good photographs of objects that are only one color can be tricky at times. Depending on the capabilities of your camera, you might have to try natural light, not use flash, etc. Experiment until you get results that you're happy with and don't underestimate the power of shadows to accentuate detail in your monochromatic figure.
- There are no size/scale limitations and you can use whatever parts/materials/tools that you like in order to bring your single-hued masterpiece to life. And please remember NOT to put any logos/names/watermarks on your entry photos that identify you as the customizer; each toy's creator is supposed to remain a secret until the conclusion of the contest's voting period!
Please remember to follow the Contest Rules
and to Vote Fairly
What are the rules of the contest?
- Please use the form here to submit your custom figure.
- At least a paragraph description is required with your entry. This paragraph, at a minimum, should answer the following questions:
- How was this custom customized?
- How does the custom fit into the contest theme?
- You may submit up to three different entries for the contest.
- Please only submit figures that were created for this contest. Do not submit old figures from the Showcase or previous contest entries.
- Your entry should not be posted on this website, any other website, or anywhere on the internet until the contest is completely over.
- The pictures for your entry will remain hidden until the contest ends and the voting begins.
- Your identity will remain hidden until after the voting completes.
- Do not include names, logos, signatures or anything on the pictures that will give you away as the creator of the custom. We want to keep the customizer's identity a secret until the contest is over.
- Don't wait until the last day to submit your entries. If your internet is down, or something happens beyond your control, you will miss the contest! Also keep in mind how many customs you can submit in one day. You may not be able to submit all your entries in one day.
- The contest is purely for fun... well... and bragging rights!
How does the contest voting work?
Anyone can vote for their favorite customs in the contest, you don't even have to submit anything to the contest! You do have to be logged-in to your Figure Realm account though so we can keep track of the votes. Only appointed Figure Realm staff can see the votes, so anonymity is guaranteed. Voting begins once the entry deadline is met and lasts for a week.
It's hard to choose just one custom to vote on when there are tons of great entries, so Figure Realm has a unique voting system where you can vote on ALL the customs! When you click on an entry to view, there's a bar with buttons on it that lets you give the custom anywhere from 1 to 5 Stars. 1 Star means you think they could have done a better job on the custom while 5 Stars means you think they did a perfect job. The votes for each entry are added up when voting is closed and averaged-out to determine the winners. Also, don't abuse the system. Don't give your own custom 5 Stars and then give everyone else 1 Star to boost your rating. Remember, the votes are monitored.
Some points you might consider when casting your vote: Is the figure well-made? Is the paint smooth or crusty? Are there noticeable fingerprints on the sculpted parts? Is it an original custom? Is it accurate to the source-material (comics, photos, description in a book)? Are the pictures clear enough to see the details? Did the creator take the time to include a back-story or recipe? Is the custom so unbelievably awesome that you'd trade your dog for it?
Craftsmanship and creativity are major factors to consider, but ultimately your vote should depend on how much you like the custom, and how well you feel it fits the contest theme.
What is the contest schedule?
|Begins: ||Contest Closed|
|Ends: ||November 15th, 2011 - Last day for submissions. No exceptions! Cut off is at midnight Central Standard Time.|
|Voting: ||November 16th - 22nd.|
Example Pictures for Ideas View Contest Entries